CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361433
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361433.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:05:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Barrowden
National Grid Reference:
SP 94493 99906

Details

BARROWDEN SP 99 NW CHURCH LANE (West End)

8/19 Church of St. Peter

10.11.55

GV II*

Church. C13-C15, restored later C19. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone with quoins and leaded, parapetted and Collyweston slate roofs with stone coped gables. W tower with spire, nave, aisles, N chancel chapel, chancel and S porch. Tower of C14, of ashlar, and of 3 stages, with plinth and clasping buttresses with set-offs. W window, a quartrefoil window to each of 3 sides in 2nd stage, slits to SW staircase, sundial on S side of SW buttress, 4 pairs of 2-light bell openings with transom, and quatrefoil frieze over. Spire has small flat broaches, 3 tiers of lucarnes in alternating positions, the top tier small quatrefoils, roll mouldings to the face angles and the summit of a circlet of leaves with iron weathervane. Inside, the nave arch is double chamfered, the inner dying into semi-circular respond. C13 2 bay nave arcades, the S earlier with circular pier and crocket capital. N similar with plain pier and both have double chamfered pointed arches. Hood moulds and C19 label stops overall. N arcade and clerestory said rebuilt at restoration. Latter has 3 Perp windows each side and 3 bay C19 low-pitch tie beam roof, rising from possibly original battlemented stone corbels. Outside a parapetted roof. N aisle has buttresses with set-offs, NW window with C19 Reticulated tracery, blocked N door and possibly C19 triple lancet window. In continuation of aisle into N chancel chapel a similar window and NE window with original Reticulated tracery and niche on S wall below. 2 bay round arched arcade to chancel with double chamfers. Chancel has restored Perp E and 2 S windows and small S door and C19 boarded 4 bay roof incorporating fragments of original Perp roof and 3 carved supporting figures each side. Cusped headed niche and double sedilia with roll mouldings on S wall. Chancel is of ashlar with plinth, buttresses with set-offs and parapetted roof. S aisle has lead roof, S window with Geometric tracery and SW Perp window, small cusped headed piscina and C13 plain octagonal font on 4 short moulded and chamfered piers and central drainage pier. S porch has many moulded round arch though shafts have gone. S doorway has round arch with double chamfer and curved inner edge, with outer shafts remaining. Door, now 2 leaved, C17 or possibly earlier. Small brass wall monument to former rector Rowland Digby d.1546, fine stone wall monument to Roland Durant d.l588, and further monument of 1840. Re-assembled fragments of fine pulpit dated 1605. Right side of rector's chair c1540 carved with inscription 'Rowlandus Digbi, Rector' and 'D.E.' and 'B.A.' either side fleur-de-lys. Otherwise C19 oak choir stalls, pulpit and pews, and brass lectern. Majolica tile reredos by firm of Maw. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877 and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP9449399906

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186841
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)
'Whites Directory' in Leicestershire and Rutland, (1877)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16150/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne French. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].