THE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361471
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Dec-1984
Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361471.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:13:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ketton
National Grid Reference:
SK 98204 04273

Details

SK 9804-9904 KETTON CHURCH ROAD 15/49 (south side)

6.6.61 The Priory (formerly No 10 (The Priory) including outbuldings to street) GV II*

House of various mainly C17 and C18 builds. Of coursed rubble and ashlar, with Collyweston stone slate roofs, coped gables and ashlar ridge and end stacks. Garden front has earliest range to right, dated 1602 over entrance in gable end, 2-storeys and 2 window range, partly masked by conservatory, but with door and 1st floor stone mullioned window of 4 round-headed lights to left. Gable end has 2-light ovolo-moulded stone mullioned window with cornice over. Flanking wing has gable with similar 3-light window dated 1632. To left of original house is C18 range, in 2 parts but both of ashlar, 2 storeys and attics, and treated in a similar manner architecturally. The first, 2 windows wide, continues the line of the original house and the second, to the left, is slightly recessed and raised. This part has five 1st floor windows and 4 ground floor windows, that to the right with Gothic tracery within a quarter-round porch, probably later, linking the 2 parts. All the other windows are sashes within raised architraves with keystones. Band below 1st floor windows. Rear elevation of this block has rusticated quoins and sash windows within moulded architraves with triple keystones, but the street front is dominated by 2 coped gabled wings with end stacks, that to the left of rubble and with a 1618 datestone, and that to the right of ashlar with a datestone W 1663, and two C19 T M window openings, one with mullion and transom. To the right of this a parapeted C19 block, partly recessed, with a similar window, 2 sash windows and a tall 3-shaft chimney stack. Interior of C18 block has panelled room with ceiling of decorative plasterwork.

Listing NGR: SK9820404273

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187138
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].