LYNDON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361483
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
LYNDON HALL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361483.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:39:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
LYNDON HALL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lyndon
National Grid Reference:
SK 90699 04363

Details

LYNDON SK 90 SW CHURCH ROAD (South Side)

6/154 Lyndon Hall

14.6.54

GV II*

Mansion. 1671-3. By John Sturges for Sir Abel Barker. Ashlar with plinth, rusticated quoins, 1st floor band, coved cornice and stone dressings, and Collyweston slate hipped roof with 4 moulded stone central valley stacks ornamented with rusticated quoins and blank arches. Square plan, the 3 principal fronts similar. 2½ storeys of 7 mullion and transom 2-light windows, the ground floor lowered, probably mid C19. Moulded stone frames and sills. 3 2-light dormers above, the central with semi-circular gable. The central 1st floor window projects slightly and has shouldered frame and carved volutes either side. In middle of entrance front a mid C19 square entrance porch in similar style, a rounded arch on each side, open to front, glazed to sides. Carved consoles support cornice with balustrade over. 2 leaved part-glazed door within. In centre of left garden front a doorway filled mid C19 with window similar to rest. Open scrolled pediment over. In centre of rear garden front similar doorway with 2 leaved part-glazed door up 2 stone stops. On left end of this front a mid C19 1 storey extension. Mid C19 interior. Pevsner and Colvin.

Listing NGR: SK9069904363

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186993
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11983/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].