CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361553
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361553.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 20:40:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ayston
National Grid Reference:
SK 85948 00964

Details

AYSTON AYSTON SK 80 SE 2/1 Church of St Mary 10/11/55 II* Parish church. C15. West tower C14/15. Coursed rubble stone tiled roof. Nave, aisles, chancel, west tower, south porch. Clerestory with 3 2-light Perpendicular windows to north and south. C13 north aisle of rubble. 2 light window with label stops. To right one lancet and one squared light. South aisle C13 and widened c.1400. 2 perpendicular 3-light windows. East window of south aisle has C15 stained glass. South dooorway C15 with squared label. C17 door. South porch c.1450. Chancel C15: north and south wall have 2 and 3-light Perpendicular windows. To left is south wall of chancel is a light Perpendicular window. East window has large 5 light Perpendicular window. Embattled tower with corner buttresses. 2 light perpendicular belfry window. West window has Decorated cusped Y tracery. Interior: Nave arcade late C13 early C14: North arcade has round-headed arches, south arcade pointed. Both arcades have circular piers, circular abaci, and double chamfered arches. C15 chancel arches with castellated capitals over which a set of painted royal arms. Aumbry cupboard in north wall and piscina recess opposite. C18 box pews. C18 single pedestal font C14 monumental slab in west end of north aisle.

Listing NGR: SK8594800964

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187464
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15325/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].