CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361558
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361558.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:39:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Preston
National Grid Reference:
SK 87008 02371

Details

PRESTON CHURCH LANE SK 8602 and SK 8702 4/1 Church of St Peter and St Paul 10/11/55 II*. Parish church. Late C12, early C13. nave, clerestory, tower, and porch late C14. Rubble, ashlar, tiled roof. Nave, chancel, aisles, west tower, south porch. Restored in 1856. Nave clerestory of 3 2 light Perpendicular windows. South aisle has 3 2 light Perpendicular windows with hood mouldings and label stops. North aisle has 3 2-light straight-headed Perpendicular windows with flat labels and hood moulded arched doorway of c1200 to west end. Chancel is C15 and has one 2-light Perpendicular window on north wall and so south wall. To the left on the south wall of the chancel is a priest's door with finial and stained glass light. Large "Decorated" East window wade in 1856 out of square-headed original. Chancel clerestory has paired Perpendicular windows on north and south walls. Late C14 south porch with small lights in returns. Embattled western tower with 2-light bell openings with a transom and a recessed spire with two tiers of lucarnes. Interior: Norman north arcade of 3 bays. Circular pier and square abaci. Capitals with scallops or waterleaf. First two arches have zig-zag decoration. South arcade c.1250 circular abaci and double chamfered. Sedile with leaf capitals. Decorated ogee-headed recess at east of south aisle. Stained glass in east window by Gerente, 1856.

Listing NGR: SK8700802371

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187480
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08286/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].