CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW AND ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361655
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW AND ST JAMES, ROSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW AND ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361655 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 16:14:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW AND ST JAMES, ROSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 38856 87006

Details

SJ 3887 SJ 38 NE 7/1017 38/1017

ROSE LANE, L18 Church of St. Matthew and St. James

14.3.75.

G.V. II*

Church. 1870-75, Paley and Austin. Squared rubble with ashlar dressings, tile roof. Nave with lean-to aisles and north and south porches. Transepts and crossing tower, chancel north organ loft and south chapel and octagonal vestry. Late C.13 style. West end has gabled entrance, no capitals to mouldings, flanked by paired wide niches. Decorative flush work and 5-light window above; 3 -light window to south aisle. Paired 2-light aisle windows and 12-bay clerestory with 2-light windows. Pilaster buttresses, and quatrefoil panels to parapet. Gabled porch has 2 niches with statues of patron saints over pointed entrance. Tower has angle buttresses and north-east canted stair turret, 4 windows of 2 lights to north and south. 3-face clock; triple 2- light bell openings have hood moulds with fleurons; enriched parapet with pinnacles and pyramidal roof with iron finial. 5- light north transept window. Chancel has flushwork arcading and 6-light east window, south chapel has 3-light east and 2-light south windows. Vestry has enriched parapet, 2-light windows and lateral stack. Interior has 6-bay nave arcades, alternate octagonal and clustered piers; wallpiers to clerestory and waggon roof. Octagonal font has traceried panels and wrought iron canopy. Low panelled chancel wall with corbelled octagonal timber pulpit. Canopied choir stalls in crossing. Chancel has blind arcading; painted reredos with coved canopy; sedilia to south. East and west windows have stained glass of 1950's by C. Edwards. South (war memorial) chapel has elaborate hammer truss, fragments of original glass in window heads. Boer War memorial in vestry in Art Nouveau style. A very good example of the work of Paley and Austin, according to Pevsner (BoE).

Listing NGR: SJ3885687006

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359368
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/108273
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/108264
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/108274
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/15602
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/15601
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/15611

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16248/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald May. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].