ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361682
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL, ST JAMES' STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361682.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 00:56:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL, ST JAMES' STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 35004 89347

Details

SJ 3489 ST. JAMES' STREET SJ 3589 L1

30/1053 Roman Catholic Church of Saint Vincent de Paul 14.3.75. G.V. II*

Catholic church. 1856-7. Edward Welby Pugin. Stone, with slate roofs. C13 style. 6-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, aisle under lean-to roofs with taller gabled roofs at west end. North aisle has 2 large buttresses projecting through eaves. End bay has gables to north and west sides, 8-light west window. Nave has 4-light clerestory windows. West entrance has paired arched doors under pointed relieving arch; traceried roundel in tympanum. 8-light window. Open traceried iron bellcote with short spire. South aisle contains confessionals and has dormers with spherical triangle windows. West bay similar to that of north aisle. Chancel has 2 tall dormers to sides and 9-light east window. Interior: nave has arcade with angel stops to hoodmoulds; wagon roof on wallpiers: chancel has arcades to flanking chapels, 3 marble altars with reredoses; each chapel has 3 statues in canopied niches. Continuous marble altar rail to chancel and chapels, C19 stained glass to east end.

Listing NGR: SJ3500489347

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359407
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08565/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].