CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361803
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361803.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 15:41:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clipsham
National Grid Reference:
SK 97018 16363

Details

CLIPSHAM

SK 91 NE CHURCH LANE (East end)

4/34 Church of St. Mary

6.6.61

GV II*

Church mostly of C12, C13 and C14. Coursed stone and ashlar with plinth, moulded bands, and part Collyweston slate, part parapetted roofs. W tower with spire, nave, aisles, chancel, N chancel aisle and S porch. W tower of c1300 of 3 stages and spire. W window with cusped head and SW corner frontal buttress extension containing staircase. Above on W side a frieze of small human heads. 4 bell openings with restored plate tracery. Hood moulds and label stops. Ball flower and head frieze as spire cornice. Small section of square pyramid roof becomes small section of square tower with row of miniature battlemented turrets. Here 4 2-light gabled lucarnes with shafts and finials. Pyramid roof continues behind turrets and lucarnes with flat broaches on corners and another battlemented turret projecting from each broach. A mask at top of each broach where octagonal 2 stage spire begins. Here 4 similar lucarnes. Spire becomes pyramidical at summit with gilded weathercock above. Inside nave triple-shafted responds to 3 tower arches. 3 bay N and S arcades: N is Norman, rounded arches with roll mouldings on circular piers; S of c1200, rounded double chamfered arches on circular piers. Various decoration. Nave has 4 bay low-pitch cambered tie beam roof on restored stone corbels. Clerestory of 3 flat-topped 2-light cusp-headed windows. Dec N aisle with restored ball flower and head frieze. N door and 4 restored Curvilinear tracery windows. N chancel chapel with 2 bay arcade on quatrefoil pier. Chancel with Reticulated E window. C19 double purlin roof with curved braces to collars from stone corbels or angels. Fine Dec S aisle: E window with Curvilinear tracery, and ball flower decoration. 2 flat-topped S windows with Reticulated tracery. Ball flower and head frieze. Gabled S porch: S doorway with sunk quadrant mouldings. Norman font; S aisle piscina; clock in N aisle by John Watts of Sleaford, dated 1688. C19 stained glass overall (E and W windows by Wailes c1860), except for medieval fragments in NE window. Complete set of fine carved C19 oak pews, lectern and pulpit. Elaborately carved oak reredos by J. Richardson of Stamford c1860. Wall monuments of C18. Wall brass of c1847 to Snow family designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK9701816363

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186603
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)
'Whites Directory' in Leicestershire and Rutland, (1877)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12763/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].