CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1361844

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, LANCASTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361844 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 04:05:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, LANCASTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre (District Authority)

Parish: Preesall

National Grid Reference: SD 35938 48334

Details

SD 34 NE PREESALL WITH HACKENSALL LANCASTER ROAD

2/28 Church of St. Oswald

-

- II

Church, 1896 by Austin and Paley. Red brick with sandstone dressings and green slate roof. Comprises a nave and chancel under a continuous roof, a south aisle, south porch, and transepts. South aisle of 4 bays, the central windows paired. Windows of 2 lights, each with a quatrefoil under a pointed head with hood. The south transept, which is buttressed, has a similar window, but with the heads of the lights cusped. The gabled porch has a door with moulded round arch. The west window is of 3 cusped ogee lights. The north nave wall is of 3 bays, the windows having flat heads and cusped lights. The east window has a pointed head, 4 cusped ogee lights, and tracery with curvilinear motifs. Towards the west end of the nave roof is a bellcote clad in shingles, of square plan splayed back to a short spire. Interior has walls of exposed brickwork with sandstone dressings, the chancel walls being clad entirely in sandstone. The south aisle is of 4 bays having octagonal piers with concave sides. The nave roof trusses have tie beams, braced king posts, and a ceiling which follows the curve of arch braces to form a barrel roof. All has stendil decoration. The south transept contains a chapel, the north transept forming an organ chamber. The chancel screen, with Perpendicular tracery, incorporates a pulpit at its northern end. The chancel has a piscina and double sedilia. A plan and perspective view displayed inside the church, by Austin and Paley and dated 1896, shows the church as proposed, including a west tower which was not executed.

Listing NGR: SD3593848334

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 185040

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing