NOS 1 AND 2 THE STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361927
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
NOS 1 AND 2 THE STREET, FLEET STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361927.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:29:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
NOS 1 AND 2 THE STREET, FLEET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Wyre (District Authority)
Parish:
Claughton
National Grid Reference:
SD 51317 42777

Details

CLAUGHTON FLEET STREET SD 54 SW 8/75 Nos.l & 2 The Street 17-4-1967 GV II*

Two houses, formerly one, 1689. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 bays, with a drip course. Windows rebated and chamfered with mullions, except for the left-hand one on the 1st floor and those to the 2nd floor, which are chamfered. Those on the ground and 1st floors have hoods. The ground-floor windows are of 4 and 5 lights, with a 2-light fire window at the left. Those on the 1st floor are of 3, 3, and 4 lights. Those to the 2nd floor are of 2, 3, and 2 lights. The door, in the middle bay, has a moulded surround with shaped lintel inscribed: '1689 A WM R'. Gable chimneys. To the left and right are lower additions. The left-hand one has a 2-light rebated and chamfered mullioned window in its front wall and a chimney on its gable. The right-hand addition, once a shippon, has`a similar window, and a door to the left with plain reveals. Its right-hand gable wall contains a re-set battlemented lintel with a carved badger, the crest of the Fitzherbert-Brockholes family. Inside, the left-hand room of the original house has a firehood bressumer and two exposed axial ceiling beams, all with edge roll mouldings. In the rear wall of the hearth there is a spice cupboard with carved door inscribed: 'ATAR 1689'. The beams visible on the 1st floor are also moulded. In the attic the timber corbels which carried the chimney cap associated with the firehood remain. The roof trusses have collars and queen struts.

Listing NGR: SD5131742777

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
185466
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].