- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- KIRKLAND HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361955.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 03:54:45.
- Statutory Address:
- KIRKLAND HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wyre (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 48020 43561
SD 44 SE
7/121 Kirkland Hall
Large house. Main block 1760 attributed to John Carr of York (Colvin).
Rear wings mid C19 with C17 remains and with part of a timber frame
possibly C16. Brick with sandstone dressings and slate roof. South front a
symmetrical composition of 2 storeys with attic and 7 bays, with stone
quoins and cornice. The 3 middle bays project slightly under a pediment.
Windows sashed with glazing bars, except for some to the attic, with
gauged brick arches. Door, flanked by paired Tuscan pilasters, has Tuscan
porch standing on the upper of 4 steps. Within the pediment of the porch
is inscribed: 'AB [Alexander Butler] 1760'. Chimneys behind ridge to each
side of pediment. At the rear of the main block is a wing running
northwards, with another wing at its northern end running east. These have
C19 dressings, but the brick is of a C17 size. The cross windows have
chamfered stone surrounds with hoods, the panes having margin lights. The
wing facing east is of 5 bays, the 2 right-hand bays projecting forwards
under a gable with clock. At the left is the main entrance to the house,
through a door with decorative strap hinges in a surround with hood. The
wing facing south is of 4 bays, the 2 central bays under a gable. Its east
gable wall has a re-tooled sandstone doorway, with a shaped lintel
inscribed 'ABE 1695'. Part of the rear wall of this wing is now missing,
the eaves supported on concrete brick piers. The roof is of C17 type, with
hardwood tie beam trusses with raking queen struts. An adjoining but
separate block, at the outer angle of the junction between the 2 principal
rear wings, has a gable wall facing west which has been rebuilt in
concrete brick. Inside it has the remains of a timber frame, with 3 main
ceiling beams mortised into wall posts, 2 of the posts now truncated. The
1st floor was not accessible at time of survey, but part of a
timber-framed partition wall could be seen. On the ground floor, in the
north wall, is a blocked moulded stone fireplace of c.1600 with shields
carved on the spandrels. The north wall of this range contains a wallplate
with mortises for studs, belonging to an independent frame, presumably in
a parallel range. Built into external walls on this side of the house are
2 plaques: 'TBE 1679' and 'TBE 1668'. Inside, there is an entrance hall at
the rear of the main block, with plaster triglyph frieze and Tuscan
pilasters. The door enters a narrow vestibule screened from the main hall
by 2 Tuscan columns. The dog-leg stair has an open string with 3 turned
balusters to each tread and a ramped and wreathed handrail. The east room
is panelled with a plaster cornice, a carved fireplace surround and timber
overmantel. The room entered from the door in the south front has been
shortened and contains a fireplace with carved surround. The west room
contains a fire surround in a similar style and has a delicate plaster
ceiling whose central motif is a covered cup.
Listing NGR: SD4802043561
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing