CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1362006

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, PARK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2019 at 02:17:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, PARK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 73387 32716

Details

GREAT HARWOOD PARK LANE SD 73 SW 2/75 Church of St. Bartholomew 11.7.1966 II*

Church, early C16 with C15 tower and C19 chancel. Coursed rubble (graduated), stone slate roof. West tower, nave with aisles, chancel. Embattled Perpendicular tower of 4 short stages has diagonal (west) and angle (east) buttresses, full-height rectangular stair turret at south east corner, west window with hoodmould, a niche above this, 2-light belfry openings with hoodmoulds (clock faces inserted in those on west and south sides), and various slit-shaped openings. Five-bay nave and aisles both have stone mullion windows of 3 round-headed lights (north aisle extended along wall of tower); and low gabled porch to 1st bay of south aisle. Interior: arcade of octagonal columns with moulded caps carrying rounded chamfered arches (those adjoining chancel C19); high tower arch with moulded Perpendicular head, above which is the gable line of a smaller and steeper roof; ceiling carried on ex situ carved and cambered beams (nave was ceiled in 1774); 2-centred chancel arch, and 4-light east window in Perpendicular style; font dated 1662, with letters "IE"; one poppy head bench, probably C16 (now loose).

Listing NGR: SD7338732716

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183878

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing