UNITARIAN CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1362126
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
UNITARIAN CHAPEL, SHEEP HOUSE LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362126.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 04:16:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
UNITARIAN CHAPEL, SHEEP HOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Rivington
National Grid Reference:
SD 62688 14517

Details

RIVINGTON SHEEP HOUSE LANE SD 61 SW 14/188 Unitarian Chapel 17.4.67 - II*

Unitarian chapel. Dated 1703. Squared sandstone with quoins, chamfered plinth, stone slate roof with gable bellcote. Both sides and both gables have 2 large cross-windows with small panes, the panes diamond-latticed in the gable walls and rectangular in the side walls; flanking the windows on the south side are 2 doorways with chamfered surrounds, that on the right with a pointed head and lintel inscribed "1703". On the west gable is a small hexagonal bellcote with a swept roof. Attached at the north west corner is a single-bay 2 storey wing with roof hipped down to the junction but gabled at the other end, with a tall chimney stack; this part has a door and one window on each floor of the west side and two 2-light square- mullioned windows on the east side, mostly with diamond lattice glazing. Interior: original box pews including choir stall at east end; between windows on north wall a raised 5-sided panelled pulpit with carved frieze and moulded cornice, and further east on the same wall a very large C18 wall monument to the Willoughby family of Parham, very fully lettered and with coats of arms and shields on the panel above the lettering; between windows on south side, Willoughby family pew with panelled reredos and very prominent moulded and carved cornice in classical style. NB: in graveyard at east end of chapel is the gravestone of Samuel Oldknow "of Nottingham, late of Anderton" ob 1759, one of the earliest textile factory builders. (See also Roscoe Lowe Farmhouse, Anderton CP).

Listing NGR: SD6268814517

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184441
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].