THE TOWNS WELL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1362199
Date first listed:
19-May-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Mar-1977
Statutory Address:
THE TOWNS WELL, WELLGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWNS WELL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362199.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 23:51:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE TOWNS WELL, WELLGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Clitheroe
National Grid Reference:
SD 74524 41860

Details

SD 7441 1/26

WELLGATE (North-East Side) The Towns Well

(Formerly listed under LOWERGATE, previously listed under Wellgate) 19.5.50.

GV II A square flagged and walled pool. 3 steps down. Together with the wells in Parsons Lane and Well Terrace was the only water supply for the town until 1852. Dog and Partridge Public House and No 3, The Towns Well and Nos 5 to 9 (odd) form a group No 5 being a building of local interest only.

Listing NGR: SD7452441860

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182821
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/04813/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].