CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1362287

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, GISBURN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362287 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 06:08:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, GISBURN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Bolton-by-Bowland

National Grid Reference: SD 78649 49388

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOLTON-BY-BOWLAND GISBURN ROAD (north side)

Church of St. Peter and SD 78 49 St. Paul 13/28 16.11.1954 GV I

Church, mid C15th (nave and tower said to be completed 1466 or 7) with some earlier remains and with early C16th Pudsay chapel. Restored 1885/6 when the nave roof was renewed to a design by Paley and Austin. Sandstone rubble, with ashlar tower and Pudsay chapel and with roofs of stone slate and lead. Comprises a west tower, a nave and chancel under continuous roof with clearstorey, north and south aisles, south-east chapel, and south porch. Tower has diagonal buttresses with ornamented offsets, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles, and gargoyles. Bell openings in 2 stages. Upper ones have Tudor-arched heads and hoods with stops. The 2 cusped lights of each opening are separated by a splayed mullion which projects forward and continues upwards across the face of the parapet. Above each opening are decorative motifs including pierced quatrefoils. The lower bell openings are of 2 cusped lights with panel tracery above, under pointed heads with hoods having head stops. The west window is of 4 cusped lights with panel tracery, under a Tudor-arched head with hood and decorative stops. The door has a pointed Tudor arch with hood and head stops and with jambs of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. The aisle and clearstorey windows are of 2 cusped lights with flat heads. The east window of the north aisle is mullioned with outer deep chamfer, inner hollow chamfer and with segmental heads to the lights, as is the window adjoining on the north side. The east window has a Tudor-arched head and 5 pointed lights. The windows of the Pudsay chapel have flat heads, pointed heads to the lights, an inner hollow chamfer and outer casement moulding. The west window of the south aisle is a chamfered lancet and probably re-used. The priest's doorway in the south aisle has a pointed head and sunk quadrant moulding and is probably C13th (Pevsner). The gabled porch has an inner door with flat head, and jambs of re-used moulded stones. The inner lintel has unfinished dog-tobth decoration.

Interior has 5-bay arcade with octagonal piers and pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders. Between the chancel and Pudsay chapel is an additional moulded segmental arch. The tower arch is pointed and of 2 chamfered orders. In the south wall of the chancel is a chamfered window surround with segmental head, used as a squint. The adjoining piscina appears to have a surround of C19th date. In the north wall is a fragment of an arch with sunk quadrant moulding, probably a tomb recess. The open timber roof of flat pitch is dated 1886. The studded south door is inscribed '1705'. The altar rails are reconstructed, but are dated '1704' on one turned newel. The screen under the tower arch, with raised panels and turned balusters, is of a similar period. The pews are reconstructed, but are inscribed with initials and-with '1694' in several places. The pulpit has re-set C17th panels in a Flemish baroque style. Under the arch between the Pudsay chapel and the chancel is a remarkable memorial to Sir Ralph Pudsay (d.1468). It is alimestone slab carved with figures of Sir Ralph, his 3 wives, and 25 children, together with their names. It is on an inscribed sandstone base renewed in 1857. In the chancel is a memorial tablet in the Greek style, to Josias and Richard Dawson (d. 1806 and 1807), by John Foster of Liverpool. The octagonal sandstone font, whose inscriptions date it after 1507, is carved with coats of arms of families associated with the Pudsays, and has latin inscriptions inlaid in brass. Winder, J.W., Pudsays and Parsons. Privately published, 1972.

Listing NGR: SD7864949388

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183200

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pinder, J W, Pudsays and Parsons, (1972)

End of official listing