Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362341.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 09:02:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Billington and Langho
National Grid Reference:


BILLINGTON OLD LANGHO SD 73 NW 2/13 Chapel of St.Leonard 24-11-1966 - I Church, said to be 1557, re-using dressings of c.1500, restored 1879. Sandstone blocks with stone slate roof. Comprises a nave with continuous chancel, a north vestry added in 1879, and a south porch. The west wall has a re-used moulded string course below window sill level. The window is of 4 cinquefoiled lights with Perpendicular tracery under a flat head. The mouldings of the head and jambs do not match. The gable is coped, with a bellcote at the apex. The south wall is of 2 bays with moulded plinth and has windows similar to the west window, but of 3 lights. The gabled porch has a chamfered outer doorway with Tudor arch. The inner doorway is moulded with segmental arch. The east wall is coped with kneelers and has a C19 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights under a Tudor-arched head with Perpendicular tracery. The north wall has 2 windows similar to those of the south wall. Various pieces of re-used carved stonework are set into the outer walls, including part of a nodding ogee canopy over the east window. Interior has C16 roof with king posts rising from moulded tie beams and with queen struts. At the east end of the south wall is a re-set trefoiled piscina with hood. Opposite, projecting from the north wall, is an elaborately carved stoup, again re-set. The pews were reconstructed in the C19 restoration, but retain their carved ends, many of which are carved with initials and with dates between 1688 and 1692.

Listing NGR: SD7010535865


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/02936/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].