CHURCH OF ST. JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1362446
Date first listed:
02-May-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN, EMESGATE LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362446.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:36:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN, EMESGATE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Silverdale
National Grid Reference:
SD 46321 75401

Details

SD 47 NE SILVERDALE EMESGATE LANE

1/181 Church of St. John 2. 5. 1968 II*

Church, 1885-6, by Ball and Elce. Squared limestone with sandstone dressings, sandstone interior and red tile roof. Comprises a west tower, nave with clearstorey, aisles, north porch, transepts and lower chancel. 3-stage tower has angle buttresses, a battlemented parapet with corner gargoyles and a deeply moulded west door. Above the door is a 3-light window with reticulated tracery. Each face has 2 2-light bell openings with traceried heads. The east window has reticulated tracery.

Interior - Nave has 4 bays with compound piers and arcades with pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders. Chancel arch and wide tower arch have. compound responds. The interior is unusual for the high quality of stone carving, including a statue of St. John in a niche in the tower wall, roof corbels carved as angels, and historiated capitals to the piers. These latter form a complete series of illustrations to the Book of Revelation, e.g. four angels holding the four winds of the earth; seven angels with seven trumpets; four and twenty elders with crowns of gold; the four horsemen of the apocalypse. The chancel has triple sedilia with cusped heads. The nave roof has arch-braced collars, with a barrel roof to the chancel. Late C19th glass in the clearstorey and east window. Font dated 1886, decorated with foliage, tracery and shafts.

Listing NGR: SD4632175401

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
181946
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09363/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Shelton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].