CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1363574
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363574.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:59:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Biddestone
National Grid Reference:
ST8396173994

Details

BIDDESTONE SLAUGHTERFORD ST 87 SW 4/83 Church of St. Nicholas 20.12.60

GV II*

Anglican parish church, C15, 1823 and 1883. Ashlar with stone tiled roofs and coped gables with saddlestones. West tower, nave and south porch and chancel. Small C15 2-stage tower with 3-sided stair turret rising to bell stage only. Renewed Perpendicular style west window with hoodmould, dripmould under bell-stage with 2-light square headed cusped openings on each face. Pierced stone panelling in each light. Blank panel under west and north side openings. Upper dripmould under embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Nave, chancel and south porch rebuilt 1823 by G. Forder of Winchester. Hollow eaves moulding. 2 windows to nave north side, one window and embattled porch to south side, chancel with windowless sides and east window. All windows filled with Perpendicular style tracery in 1883. Hoodmoulds over. Plain interior with plastered walls and roofs, chamfered chancel arch and later C19 fittings. Inscription recording 1823 rebuilding after 2 centuries of disuse. (Colvin: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978, 313.)

Listing NGR: ST8396173994

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
317173
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 313

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02891/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeffery Bartlett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].