Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363771.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:16:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 06337 71490


CHERHILL YATESBURY SU 07 SE 10/114 Church of All Saints 20.12.60 GV I Anglican parish church, C12 origins, C13 and C15, with chancel of 1855 by C.H. Gabriel. Ashlar with stone slate roofs and coped gables. Nave, south porch, north aisle, west tower, chancel and north vestry. C15 three-stage west tower with diagonal buttresses to bottom stage, moulded plinth, string courses, embattled parapet and corner pinnacles. Canted south stair tower up to second stage. Two-light pointed bell-openings. West front has moulded four-centred doorway with hoodmould under large Perpendicular 3- light window with hood and, at second stage, a small single light. Ashlar nave with embattled parapets, some chalk rubble visible in east wall. South side has stepped buttresses each end, moulded plinth and cornice, large 3-light Perpendicular windows flanking porch and at east end, canted embattled rood-stair tower. Porch has coped gable, pointed arch and scratch dial. North aisle is rubble stone with some chalk and ashlar embattled parapet. Cornice with gargoyles. Low blocked door with flat headed Perpendicular 3-light window each side. 1855 chancel has south side 2-light and single light windows. East end reticulated- tracery 3-light, north side single light and lean-to vestry. Interior: porch has C15 rafter roof. C19 neo-Norman south door, but from inside framed in large round arch of a c1200 arcade with round piers and round caps, one plain, one with a scroll moulding. C15 tower arch, C15 four-bay nave roof, low-pitched with moulded cambered tie-beams and tracery over. End bay is ceiled with stars affixed. Early C13 Early English north arcade of 3-bays with round piers and pointed 2-chamfer arches. Leaf motif carved over each pier. Lean-to north aisle roof. Pointed 2-chamfer chancel arch with hoodmould and bead stops. 1855 chancel has scissor rafter roof, walls completely covered in painted pattern decoration, encaustic tile floor, low stone screen and bright c1855 east window glass with attractive naive figures, monogrammed M.E. or E.M. South windows have crudely drawn figures of c1855. In nave, stone canted-fronted pulpit, C19, and commandment boards enamelled on metal. On north aisle, plaque to G. Hungerford of Studley, died 1764 and under tower one to Sarah Vaisey, died 1795. In nave exceptional Norman font with heavy band of upright stylised leaves below and band of trail scrolls above. (Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine 18 1879; 319; Builder 1844; 542; N. Pevsner Wiltshire 1975; 601-2: Wilts Record Office has plans of 1855 by C.H. Gabriel for chancel)

Listing NGR: SU0633471491


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 601-602
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1844), 542
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 18, (1879), 319


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/05235/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].