CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1363888
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, EASTCOURT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363888.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:07:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, EASTCOURT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Crudwell
National Grid Reference:
ST 95638 92901

Details

ST 99 SE CRUDWELL EASTCOURT ROAD (north side)

3/54 Church of All Saints

28.10.59

GV I

Anglican Parish Church. Probable Saxon origin (nave proportions), late C12 (north arcade), early C13 (chancel), late C13 (north chapel), early C14 (south arcade and base of tower), C15, 1868 and 1889 restorations. Squared and coursed rubble with stone dressings, ashlar to south porch, copings and tower parapet, stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch. South aisle has a triangular-headed 3-light C15 window to left of porch, a 3-light flat-headed C15 window to the right and a 4-light C15 window set in a deep reveal to the west. North aisle has an identical west window, a 4-light C15 window under flat head to left, central blocked round-arched late C12 doorway with dogtooth to hoodmould and a single lancet to right. North chapel has 3-light C13 window under pointed head. Chancel south wall has a single and a 2-light lancet and a round-headed doorway with roll moulding and plank door. Diagonal buttresses with set-offs to aisles. West tower of 3 stages with set-off buttresses to the west, moulded string courses and pierced quatrefoil parapet with corner pinnacles and gargoyles below. West face flush with aisles has a 4-light C15 window to ground floor and single lights above and below clock to second stage. Bell openings on all faces: 2-cusped-light openings with close patterned piercing. South porch with diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles; east corner stair turret. Multi-chamfered south doorway with hoodmould developed from buttress set-off. Oblong lights to parvise with sundial to left on south face. Two-leaf outer plank doors, multi- chamfered inner doorway with further plank door. Interior: 2-bay north arcade with trumpet capitals, circular piers and arches; 2-bay south arcade with octagonal piers and double- chamfered pointed arches. Trefoil-headed piscina to south aisle south wall, rood stair to right of chancel arch and squints either side. Open rafter roof to south aisle, wagon roof to nave and early C17 king-post roof with cusped braces to north aisle. Trefoil-headed piscina on south wall of chancel, wagon roof. Fittings: north aisle has C15 font with tapering stem and octagonal bowl and C17 stairs with handrail to belfry. Nave has benches with linenfold and early Renaissance end panels (Aubrey records that they were given by one Walton, and Waltons appear in the parish in the mid C16); C19 pulpit, C19 brass lectern. South aisle has 3 oil paintings: copies of old masters. North wall of north aisle has 2 benefaction boards, one early C17 the other of 1775; C15 stained glass of the Seven Sacraments in north-east window. C15 screen forming north chapel, further Renaissance screen in chapel; wall monument to Thomas Earle of 1715 with swags and putti. Chancel east window of 1887 in Kempe style, late C19 stained glass to chancel south window. List of rectors in south porch. (Aubrey & Jackson, Wiltshire Collections, 1862; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: ST9563892900

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315676
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Aubrey, , Jackson, , Wiltshire Collections, (1862)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/04654/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Barry McCabe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].