LACKHAM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1363942
Date first listed:
07-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
LACKHAM HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LACKHAM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363942 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 05:48:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
LACKHAM HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lacock
National Grid Reference:
ST9228670177

Details

LACOCK LACKHAM ST 97 SW 1/114 Lackham House II

Country house, now agricultural college, 1791-6 for James Montagu, ashlar with low pitched slate valley roofs and ashlar end stacks. Formal 3-storey Palladian style mansion, square plan with low parallel wings each side linked by screen walls to main range. Garden front of 2-3-2 windows with slightly projected pedimented centre and balustraded parapet each side. Ground floor, possibly altered, has plain tall French windows and high 8-column Roman Doric loggia with balustraded balcony. First floor pedimented sash windows in architraves with moulded sill course, moulded band over and attic casements in square openings. Modillion cornice. Rear, entrance, facade is much plainer, 2-2-2 windows with walling of square rubble up to attic, which is ashlar faced. Moulded cornice and parapet. Ground floor has boldly detailed free Baroque style enclosed porch of c1900 in ashlar with typical blocked columns and pilasters, deep semi-circular hood and Arts and Crafts style iron lamps. Link walls each side of main fronts have moulded cornice and balustrade. Parallel wings have end walls treated as decorative pavilions with 3-bay fronts, the centres advanced with pediments applied against pedimental gables, the narrow side bays with parapets. Centre ground floor tripartite window with 12-pane sash each side, first floor sill-course under centre lunette with oval light to side bays. East side of east wing has plain 2-storey elevation of 2-light beaded mullion windows. West side of west wing is former coach-house and stable with projecting pedimented centre of 2 lunettes over 2 blocked coach entries. Ridge cupola. Attractive pedimented dormers, possibly of c1900, each side. Ground floor mostly obscured, but, to left, 2 lunettes and centre door. Interior: much fielded panelling to hall and spine corridors. Ground floor north-west room has Adam style decoration and fine plaster ceiling. Open well stair with turned balusters and panelled dado. Original panelled doors. In west service court, a billiard room with top-lit coved ceiling and vine tendril Arts and Crafts style plasterwork of c1900. Lackham was owned by the Baynard family from the C14 to 1636 when it passed to the Montagu family. The medieval house was demolished by James Montagu V in 1791. The alterations of c1900 were carried out for G.L. Palmer. (Wiltshire Notes and Queries, 3, 1899)

Listing NGR: ST9228670177

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315549
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Wiltshire Notes and Queries' in Wiltshire Notes and Queries, , Vol. 3, (1899)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03682/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeffery Bartlett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].