CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1363962
Date first listed:
07-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, BOWDEN HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363962.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:53:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, BOWDEN HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lacock
National Grid Reference:
ST 93758 67932

Details

LACOCK BOWDEN HILL ST 96 NW (south side) 3/19 Church of St Anne GV II

Anglican parish church, 1856-7 by S.B. Gabriel of Bristol for Capt J.N. Gladstone of Bowden Park. Squared ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate roofs and coped gables. Nave, chancel and north porch in Early English style with Romanesque style north east tower, gabled with shingled pyramid roof. Three- window nave with flat buttresses, heavy string course, moulded eaves and 2-light plate-traceried windows. North porch has battered plinth flush on west side with west wall. West window of 2-light centre with single lights each side flanked by blank windows, to give row of seven pointed arches, taller in centre. Shafting between arches is missing. Gable vesica. Chancel has heavy corbel table, 3 lancets to south, one to north, clasping flat buttresses and east end 3 pointed lights in 5-arch arcade. Foiled circle in gable. Three-stage north east tower with clasping flat buttresses to bottom stage, ashlar coping between stages, second stage with recessed walling, corbel table and small arched light each side. The gabled top stage is heavily ornate with 3 stepped lights each side, the shafting missing and Evangelist symbols as gargoyles at each corner. Coped gables. Interior is ashlar lined with much finely lettered inscription. Nave has good windbraced 6-bay roof, moulded chancel arch with leaf capitals, stone pulpit and font. Chancel has 3-bay roof with thin windbracing, encaustic tile floor, alabaster reredos over marble dado, Purbeck shafting to windows and moulded north arch to vestry. East window glass signed Warrington 1857. North wall brass to Mrs Gladstone (d 1862). Two nave stained glass windows of c1863 to Captain and Mrs Gladstone, west window of 1887. Various brass plaques on south wall to Merewether family of Bowden Hill House. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 120)

Listing NGR: ST9375867932

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315452
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 120

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15420/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Young. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].