CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1364104
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364104.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:19:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Limpley Stoke
National Grid Reference:
ST 78361 60343

Details

ST 76 SE LIMPLEY STOKE CHURCH LANE ( south side) )



3/86 Church of St Mary

13-11-62

GV II *

Anglican parish church. C10, early C13, C15, restored and south aisle added c1920 by Sir Charles Nicholson. Dressed limestone, rendered rubble stone nave, stone slate roof with coped verges. Plan: west tower with spire, nave with south aisle, and east bellcote, north porch, chancel with south vestry. C13 gabled porch with moulded round arch on triple shafts with moulded capitals, hoodmould. Nave has two 2-light mullioned window with round arched lights and hoodmould, probably C17, wall tablet with scrolled pediment to right, gabled bellcote with round-arched openings. Chancel with C19 cusped lancet and blocked square-headed lancet, 3-light Perpendicular east window with hoodmould, south side has C19 cusped lancet. Early C20 south aisle has reset 3- light square-headed Perpendicular east window, 3-light and two 2- light south windows, roof pitch interrupted for 3-light C16 mullioned window with arched lights in south wall of nave. Vestry to left probably late C19 with 2-light C14-style window. Two-stage west tower with string courses, unbuttressed, chamfered arrowloops on west side, bellstage has pair of arrowloops with pierced stone louvres on north, west and east sides, recessed octagonal spire with roll-moulded ribs and bands, the lower brattished, moulded capping. Interior: Porch has fixed stone benches, restored depressed Tudor- arch with restored ledged and ribbed door, 1960s niche over with statue of The Virgin and Child. Three-bay nave with late C19 deep arched-braced collar truss roof, on stone corbels. West gallery for organ with reset C17 panels with lozenges and arches on front. South arcade incorporates fine Saxon arch with moulded imposts, formerly the south door, flanked by two double chamfered early C20 arches to west and one deep chamfered pointed arch to east, lean-to roof on stone corbels. Plastered double chamfered pointed chancel arch, chancel roof with braced collar rafters, C19. Plain chamfered pointed piscina on south wall, C19 reredos, communion rail and communion table. Other fittings: Nave has fine C15 stone pulpit with cusped panels and stone steps, set into segmental- pointed recess in north wall. C18 pedestal font in south aisle. 1771 Royal Arms of George III, over north door. Stained glass includes south east window in memory of Francis Kerr died 1932, signed by A.K. Nicholson of London. Monuments: In the chancel; oval black and white marble to John Morgan died 1786, early C19 grey marble tablet with four inscription panels to Fisher family, by Reeves of Bath. In the nave; two white marble tablets to Susanna Cooper died 1720 and Ann Dike died 1776, C19 marble to Fisher family by Sheppard of Bath. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Church Guide)

Listing NGR: ST7836160343

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
314534
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Mary Church Guide
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/01901/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur A. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].