CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1364266
Date first listed:
05-Nov-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364266.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 17:43:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Heywood
National Grid Reference:
ST 87223 53624

Details

HEYWOOD CHURCH ROAD ST 85 SE (east side) Church of Holy Trinity 4/183 GV II Anglican parish church, now redundant. 1849, possibly by Harvey Eginton, for Henry G.G. Ludlow. Coursed rubble stone, with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof with coped verges and ashlar gabled bellcote with three openings to west. Decorated style. Four bay aisled nave, chancel, and north vestry, south porch. Large gabled porch with moulded pointed doorway with attached shafts, cusped lancets to sides. South aisle has two 2-light geometric windows left and right of porch, four trefoils to clerestory. Chancel has two 2-light geometric windows to south, good 6-light east window with reticulated tracery, north side has one window and lean-to vestry with pointed doorway. North aisle has four geometric windows, cusped trefoil to east and ashlar stack, four trefoils to clerestory. West end has 4-light geometric window, diagonal buttresses, set-back west ends of aisle have 2-light windows. Interior not accessible at time of survey (July 1986). Porch has chamfered pointed doorway with planked door. Nave has pointed arcade and chancel arch. All fittings removed since church closed. Stained glass in east window of 1876 by Ward and Hughes. Good early example of Ecclesiological Movement. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8722353624

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
313822
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07189/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John O'Reilly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].