FRANKLEIGH HOUSE, INCLUDING TERRACE WITH PARAPETS AND PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1364533
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1974
Statutory Address:
FRANKLEIGH HOUSE, BATH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRANKLEIGH HOUSE, INCLUDING TERRACE WITH PARAPETS AND PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364533 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 16:57:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
FRANKLEIGH HOUSE, BATH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bradford-on-Avon
National Grid Reference:
ST8214862278

Details

ST 86 SW 6/125 5411

BATH ROAD (West Side), Frankleigh House, including terrace with parapets and piers

(Formerly listed as The Old Ride School and terrace with parapets and piers at the Old Ride School)

II

Formerly Kingwell Court Boys' School. Large house in its own grounds. C17 (circa 1685) but south and east fronts rebuilt about 1848. Considerably rebuilt and restored but still retains a number of original features, including some chimneys. Main elevation. Ashlar, stone-tiled, highpitched roofs, 2 storeys and attics in 4 gables. Gabled projecting wing to left with 2 storeys square bay and 4-light windows; casements with stone mullions and single transoms. Remainder of facade divided into 3 units by central square porch with room over and on each side an angular bay rising through 2 storeys. Window over door has 4-lights, stone mullions and single transoms, while those in bays have 3 lights with a single light in each angle. All bays are crowned by moulded cornice and embattled parapet. Centre doorway has flattened pointed arch within rectangular dripmould; carved spandrels. Moulded head and jambs. Continuous weathered string at 1st floor level. All gables have pointed finials, attic windows are 2-light casements with stone mullions and flat drip-moulds. Tall, square, ashlar chimney stacks with embattled caps, set diagonally in groups of three. Carved stone eagles at corners of roof and gargoyles along cornice. There is a symmetrical forecourt with strap-work parapet having pointed finials on the dividing piers. Steps from the forecourt lead down to a grass terrace with low surrounding wall having moulded coping and ball caps at intervals.



Listing NGR: ST8214862278

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
312488
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].