Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364707.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:55:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 10769 62027


ALTON ALTON BARNES SU 16 SW 5/2 Church of St. Mary 27.5.64 I

Anglican parish church. C10-C11, C14 and 1748. Altered 1832 and restored 1875 and 1904 by C.E. Ponting. Limestone structural work with malmstone infilling, mostly pebbledashed. Stone slate roof. Simple 2-cell plan of nave and chancel. C14 south door, the north doorway blocked and glazed. Nave of late Saxon work with pilaster strips dividing wall into 4 bays, and gable to 2 bays, the strips rebated for rendering. Flush quoins, large and partly side alternate. The east and west gables raised and coped and have terminal crosses. In the gables paired rectangular openings for bells. Three light west window with reserved chamfered mullions. Scratch sundial on south-east quoins. Chancel rebuilt for Nicholas Preston in 1748. Diaper brickwork on rubble stone sills and ashlar quoins and corbel table. Two light ogee square headed windows, probably reused. Blocked keyed oculus in east gable. Interior: Intimate. Nave of 2 bays with C18 panelled west gallery on one column and rear stair. Roof of quasi-raised crucks with threaded purlins and square set ridge. Long curved arch braces to purlins. Chamfered tie beams. Rafters and ashlars exposed. Early-mid C18 dado panelling. Chancel arch altered 1832 replacing Saxon original on Cll-C12 moulded imposts. Chancel has coved ceiling. Fittings: Font, clE, inelegant stone basin on baluster stem. Pulpit also. C18, raised and panelled. Steps enclosed in re- used late C17-early C18 panelling which also encloses reader's pew. Pews oak, C19. Simple C18 choir seats. Glass: In north chancel window, arms and inscription of 1737 to W. Lamplugh, rector. Monuments: Many wall memorials. In chancel, north side, marble slab of 1652 to Warner South, rector, with Latin inscription; and 6 others of early C19 in simple Classical style: Theresa Brereton, died 1835, by the Patent Works, Westminster and memorials of the Crowe family, distinguished in the diplomatic field. In the nave, 10 wall tablets, including a limestone pedimented aedicule to Thomas Chandler, died 1790. Four brasses, one in chancel to William Budd, rector, died 1685. On west front of church two oval tablets with crest, illegible and one now missing. Furniture: Chancel has C17 oak chair with carved back, and a 3-legged serving table with ball and claw feet. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, p87; Combined churches guide, 1970; Taylor & Taylor, j Saxon Architecture, Vols 1 to 3; W.A.M, 68 - 1973 and 77 - 1982)

Listing NGR: SU1076762028


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963), 87
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965)
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965)
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 68, (1973)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 77, (1982)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00118/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].