CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1364769
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364769.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:36:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Pillerton Hersey
National Grid Reference:
SP2989748861

Details

SP 2948; 11/50

PILLERTON HERSEY, Church of St. Mary the Virgin

13/10/66

GV

II*

Church. Mid C13 and C15. C19 additions and restoration. Squared, coursed limestone and ironstone dressings, and ironstone top stages of tower. Tile roof with stone coped gable to chancel and to C19 north aisle. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower.

Chancel of two bays, with plinth, offset angle buttresses, string course below windows and coped parapet. C19 vestry attached to north. To east a mid C13 triple-lancet window, the central lancet wider than those to either side. Chamfered and hollow chamfered surrounds. Plate tracery with quatrefoil piercing above central lancet. To either side of window a shaft with blank pointed arch. To south a C19 plank door. Its surround has shafts at angles with two more to either side. Many-moulded arch and hood mould with stiff-leaf label stops. Immediately to left a small lancet with blank pointed arch and moulded surround. Pointed lancets, two to south and three to north, have double chamfered surrounds and hood moulds. C19 vestry in Early English style with diagonal buttresses and 2-lancet window with plate tracery. Nave of three bays. South aisle c.1400, rebuilt C19, of two bays with offset buttresses, plinth and coped parapet. To left a plank door with many-moulded surround and pointed arch. To right, and to east and west ends a C19 three-light window in the Perpendicular style with hood moulds and label stops. North aisle of three bays is dated 1845 and has plinth, buttresses and coped parapet. String course below windows. Three Early English style lancets with chamfered surrounds. 3-lancet window to east, and 2-lancet window to west. All windows have hood moulds and label stops. Tower of three stages with offset diagonal buttresses, plinth, string coursed and battlemented parapet with finials to corners. C13, altered and heightened C15. To west a plank door within many moulded, pointed arch, hood mould and label stops. C15 two-light window above with cusped lights, chamfered surround and hood mould with label stops. Small stair turret light to south, with chamfered surround. To south of second stage a pointed light with chamfered surround and hood mould. One-handed clock above. Bell chamber stage has C15 two-light windows, that to west renewed. Chamfered surrounds, slate louvres, hood moulds and label stops. Incised in walls of church are simple sundials.

INTERIOR: east window lancets have shafted surrounds, with stiff-leaf capitals, the whole window with double shafted surround. Window surrounds are moulded at angles. String course below. C13 double piscina with central shaft. C13 chancel arch piers are flanked by smaller shafts. Double hollow chamfered pointed arch with hood mould. South nave arcade of two bays, rebuilt C19. C19 north arcade of three bays in Early English style. Chancel arch with chamfered piers, capitals and arch. Chamfered surround. Chancel has hammer-beam roof, C16 or C17. Low-pitched C15 nave roof with arch-braced trusses, the tie beams, purlins and principal rafters moulded. Many carved bosses. Moulded stone corbels. C19 aisle roofs, that to north imitating chancel.

East window has green-tinted glass. Reset roundel in south aisle is dated 1514. Coat of arms of George III painted on south aisle wall. C18 chamber organ with pilasters and pediment. C18 and C19 memorials in porch walls. Medieval chest in porch. C17 bells. C19 and C20 fittings, including carved altar rails, reading desk and reredos. Thin-shafted font cover by Canon Staley, and presented in 1927,

Listing NGR: SP2989748861

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
307289
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 134-5
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14779/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].