CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1364956
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WARWICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364956.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:00:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WARWICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Warwick (District Authority)
Parish:
Leek Wootton and Guy's Cliffe
National Grid Reference:
SP 28868 68765

Details

LEEK WOOTTON Warwick Road (west side)

22/204 Church of All Saints

11.4.67

GV II

Parish church. Old church demolished 1789 and present tower and nave built on the site in Gothic style in 1792. Chancel added in 1843; nave roof raised in 1864, and nave lengthened in 1889. Consists of chancel, nave, west tower, vestry and south porch. Walls of sandstone ashlar and steeply pitched plain tile roofs. Tower of three stages with moulded stringcourse at each stage. Angle buttresses reach to the base of the embattled parapet. In west face of lowest stage is a three-light window with cinquefoil tracery, and above a blank quatrefoil window. At third stage are two-light belfry windows. Nave with plain parapet with three crocketted pinnacles. In south wall three windows, two of two-lights and one of three-lights. In north wall same type of windows but also a circular rose window. South porch has angle buttresses and tiled roof. Chancel with buttresses and continuous stringband at cill level. Below the four-light pointed east window with cinquefoil tracery, is a two-light mullioned window to a chamber built to make up for the fall in the ground from west to east. Three cinquefoil windows in south wall of chancel and one in north wall. Attached to north of chancel is a gabled vestry with three-light cinquefoil window in north gable. Interior: Chancel and nave have open timber roofs, that to nave is of hammer-beam construction. Panelled oak pulpit. Oak chancel screen erected in 1929. 1845 octagonal panelled stone font. In north wall of nave a tomb recess or Easter Sepulchre. In the church there are a number of C18 and C19 mural tablets. In churchyard immediately to east of south porch is a C12 tapered circular font.



Listing NGR: SP2886868765

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308076
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15635/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Walter Chinn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].