SHANKLIN RAILWAY STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1365375
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1992
Statutory Address:
SHANKLIN RAILWAY STATION, REGENT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHANKLIN RAILWAY STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365375 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 07:39:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHANKLIN RAILWAY STATION, REGENT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shanklin
National Grid Reference:
SZ 58099 81889

Details

SHANKLIN. SZ5881 REGENT STREET 1352-0/8/209 Shanklin Railway Station II

Railway Station. 1864, extended 1881. Built for the Isle of Wight Railway. Original portion to north-east consists of Stationmaster's house and short wing on either side. Built of stock brick with slate roof and decorative ridge tiles. Irregular shape. 2 storeys 2 windows. Gable and 2 round-headed sash windows to 1st floor. Ground floor has plain sash window and doorcase with 4-panelled door. Central square brick chimneystack with 4 octagonal chimneypots. Tower to rear with pyramidal roof. 1881 wing to south-west is of red brick with half-hipped slate roof and decorative ridge tiles. 1 storey. 3 round-headed arched windows with cogged band between and 1 door. Interior has original boarded ticket office. Wooden canopy supported on iron brackets with crest of railway company runs the full length of the station. The platform side also has a canopy on iron brackets, but the fretwork has gone.

Listing NGR: SZ5809981889

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310243
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10332/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. B. Cooke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].