FISHERMAN'S COTTAGE PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1365376

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1992

Statutory Address: FISHERMAN'S COTTAGE PUBLIC HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FISHERMAN'S COTTAGE PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365376 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Feb-2019 at 23:53:45.

Location

Statutory Address: FISHERMAN'S COTTAGE PUBLIC HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shanklin

National Grid Reference: SZ 58525 81054

Details

SHANKLIN SZ5881 SHANKLIN CHINE 1352-0/8/212 Fisherman's Cottage Public House GV II

Inn, formerly a cottage. built c1817 by a Mr W Colenutt who opened a path through Shanklin Chine and started to charge visitors a fee, but much altered and extended in C20. Built of stone rubble with half-hipped thatched roof and red brick chimnyestack to left-hand side. Roughly L-shaped; 2 storeys, 3 windows to main part, 2 windows to L-wing, now modern wooden casement windows. Some windows have stuccoed architraves. 1 triple eyebrow dormer to south elevation. Simple doorcase to L wing with stuccoed architraves. Modern penticed weather hood above. French window to main part. Left side elevation has door with quoined surround. Rear elevation has loading door and modern flat-roofed extension. From 1845 James Sampson (son-in-law of Mr Colenutt) provided visitors to Shanklin with hot brine baths by piping sea water to a large tank and heating in a copper boiler, In 1970 the bath was moved just inside the lower entrance to Shanklin Chine. (Parker, Alan:The Story of Victorian Shanklin:12) .

Listing NGR: SZ5852581054

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 310247

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Parker, A, The Story of Victorian Shanklin12

End of official listing