B HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1365436
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
B HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of B HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365436 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 01:24:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
B HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Marlborough
National Grid Reference:
SU 18505 68753

Details

MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE 1. 5407 B House SU 1868 5/116 II GV 2. 1845-50. Architect Edward Blore. Red brick. hipped slate roof. 3 storeys and attics. Strings. Ashlar modillion eaves cornice. 9 ranges of sashes with glazing bars. 7 attic dormers with pedimented gables and casements with glazing bars. 2 Italianate towers with modillioned cornices and arched lights taking flues. Long and short brick quoins. Elaborate wooden oriels in mid-C17 manner, added by Edwin H Crocker in the 188O's. All Blore's work at Marlborough College is remarkable for its date in using a Cl7 style: the use of this style is common in the 1870's, but not in the 1840's. Only the Italianate towers are typical of the 1840's. C house, B House, The Museum Block, The Arcade, The Bradleian Building, The North Block, the Porter's Lodge, gates and railings, the Chapel, and A House form a group.

Listing NGR: SU1850568753

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310460
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/14974/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steven Vaux. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].