CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1365445
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365445.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:52:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mildenhall
National Grid Reference:
SU 20994 69476

Details

SU 26 NW MILDENHALL CHURCH LANE

6/145 Church of St. John the Baptist

22.8.66

GV I

Anglican parish church. c10, c1200, 1816 and restored 1876. Rendered flint with limestone ashlar. Lead roofs. Nave and aisles, chancel. West tower and south porch. South aisle has lancet with round hoodmould, other nave and aisle windows C15 square headed 3- cinquefoil lights and 1 and 2-lights to clerestory. Chancel and north aisle also have C15 pointed 2-cinquefoil lights. Tower of 3 stages, the lowest stage C9-C10 with angle and clasped west buttresses. 3rd stage with crenellated parapet and pierced transennae. Below on north and south, Anglo-Saxon 2-light square headed openings. West door with simple keeled moulding. C18-C19 part rebuilding of south aisle and south porch added, also 1 clerestory window and window over west door added 1816, both round headed without tracery. Sundial on south west tower buttress and triangular headed slit light, now blocked on south side of tower. Interior: Nave of 3 bays, round arches of 2 unchamfered orders on scalloped capitals, one with Adam and Eve to south arcade, north arcade with round capitals. High openings probably of rood screen east of eastern imposts. Pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders on scalloped corbels, one with carved head. Roof of 4 bays, cambered moulded tie beams with central pendants bracketed to wall posts on stone corbels. Ties carry moulded king posts and struts to low pitched principals, also with pendents. Chancel of 2 bays with fine depressed panelled plaster ceiling on moulded cornice. Priest's door to south wall. Fittings: Outstanding and largely complete fittings of 1816, including box pews, wall dado with carved leaf frieze, high reader's desk and lectern either side of chancel arch approached by steps from chancel and having tall backboards and sounders. In chancel choir pews, also highly carved but in Gothic design, the dado panelling extending to east end and returning with Paternoster boards and rising to openwork ogee baldacchino on quatrefoil riddel posts. Communion rails of close spaced turned balusters with applied trefoiled tops, the rail being slightly depressed at the centre. West gallery in nave, 1821, with concave panelled front carrying organ. Font, c1816 shallow octagonal bowl on a tall stem, limestone, with carved oak cover and iron point for suspension from soffite of gallery. Glass: East window with fragments of C14 - C15 yellow stained glass, a bishop with crozier, and sun and crowns in foils of window. North aisle with a Raising of Lazarus by Mayer & Co of Munich. Royal Arms of George III over chancel arch. 3 hatchments, and 4 painted shields on corbel posts. At rear under gallery: 6 shields commemmorating benefactors of refitting of 1816 and 2 institution boards. Monuments: Chancel: Marble wall tablets, STEPHEN HYDE, 1697, arms on broken pediment, fluted bell below inscription. EDWARD POCOCK 1726, pilasters with segmental cornice. Reverend RICHARD POCOCK, 1787, variegated marbles with crest swept up to urn and pinecone finial. Reverend CHARLES SOAMES, 1894. Reverend GORDON SOAMES, 1935. Reverend GEORGE BUXTON 1881, draped urn and tablet on black marble field, by Gaffin of London. THOMAS BASKERVILLE and family, triple Gothic ogee niches with palm trees in relief, by J. Harris of Bath, sculptor to Queen Caroline. Reverend CHARLES FRANCIS, 1821 white marble Gothic openwork and niche with palm trees, also by Harris of Bath. EDWARD COURTMAN, 1979, oval slate panel, and SIR GEORGE WALKER, 1724 black marble oval. North Aisle: General JOHN CACCRAFT by Harris of Bath, simple white sarcophagus, HENRY WOODMAN and family 1823, draped urn over panel, by Harrison of Marlborough. SAMUEL WINDSOR, 1893 Lily on sarcophagus, WILLIAM YOUNG, 1832 Tudor panel by Harrison. ISAAC WHITE,- 1806 Crested panel. WILLIAM YOUNG and wife, 1939 and in broom cupboard, WILLIAM BAKER, 1729 painted limestone with putto in pediment. South Aisle: War Memorial of black and white marbles. WILLIAM JONES, 1922. Furniture: 5 red leather kneelers for communion rail, 1797. Painting of seated Charles I with garter on cloak and tasselled noose. Reference: Pevsner, (Buildings of England: Wiltshire).

Listing NGR: SU2099369476

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310608
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/197429
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/24139

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00897/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Domeracki. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].