Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365521.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:10:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 25744 60325


GRAFTON THE GREEN, East Grafton SU 26 SE (east side) 5/30 Church of St. Nicholas II* Anglican parish church. 1844, by Benjamin Ferrey. Limestone ashlar and square rubble, slate roof. Norman (i.e. of Normandy) revival, said to be based on Thaon, Normandy. Nave and aisles, short chancel and apse. Tower over west end of north aisle. West door in 2 recessed orders with nook shafts. Chevrons, bowtell and twisted roll. West window over also with light chevron, and flanking intersecting blind arcade. Pair of attached shafts without top divide elevation from aisle and tower. Side elevation of 5 bays defined by broad flat pilasters connecting plinth and corbel table. Simple round-arched windows with continuous string. Clerestory similar but narrow lights with incised moulded heads. Apse also similar but alternate corbels of table are grotesques. Tower of 3 stages, open twin lights to bellstage and parapet corbel table with pronounced gargoyles. Pyramidal roof. The whole is a triumph of a normally difficult revival style, and significant in its evolution. Interior: Nave of 5 bays, varied scalloped capitals and 2 plain orders arches. Wall shafts above on corbels support bracketed ties and arch-braced principals roof. Blind chevron arch at east and west ends of nave. Chancel raised 3 steps; 2-bay barrel vault and apsidal end. Tall blind arcading between embrasures, also with nook shafts. Encaustic tiles paving. Aisles with plain arch buttresses to nave arcade. Fittings: Font, limestone arcaded bowl on square base. Inscription cast in rim of lead lining. Pulpit; oak, open intersecting arcading and iron handrail to steps. In sanctuary, marble credence table on Romanesque style column. Also Romanesque timber wall arcading remaining from choir stalls, now replaced. Organ by Bevington of London. Glass: Good apsidal windows depicting St Margaret, St Nicholas and Resurrection in centre. Aisle glass mostly of 1856. West window by Willement. Monuments: North Aisle: Limestone Gothic aedicule, 1846, to PHILIP SELFE. Nave: War memorial in black and white marbles. (Reference: Antiq. and Architect. Year Book 1844, 339-349. Builder 1844, 207.

Listing NGR: SU2574460325

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1844), 207
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/10065/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].