CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1365539
Date first listed:
27-May-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365539.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:53:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Fittleton
National Grid Reference:
SU 14624 49538

Details

FITTLETON - SU 14 NW 9/53 Church of All Saints 27.5.64 II*

Anglican parish church. C13, C15 and C16, restored in 1903. Flint, banded with limestone and part rendered. Slate roofs, chancel tiled. Nave with aisles, south porch, chancel and west tower. Aisles have early C15 two and 3-light windows, nave clerestorey 2-light cinquefoiled with square label mould. Chancel has mid-late C15 three-light window but C19 east and low-side windows. Tower of 3 stages, partly clasped by aisles. Octagonal north-west stair turret rising above the fleuron string and straight parapet of tower. Small spire, restored in 1902. Single light bell-openings and 2-light west window. South porch of C16, wide gabled with 3-centred arch of 2 chamfered orders. Inner door of c1380 with bracket moulding. Interior: Nave of 3 bays, C15 arcades on octagonal columns. Interior plastered. Narrow C13 chancel arch with square capitals to jambs. Roof of nave, C15, king post trusses, the ties bracketed to wall posts on mask corbels. Posts to purlins moulded as ridge. Intermediate tie beams with principal rafters also moulded and carved bosses at intersections with purlins. Chancel of 3 roof bays. Blocked north door. Roof C19 in C15 style with open rafters. Narrow piscina and 2 aumbries in west wall. Open rafter roofs to aisles. Tower inserted into western bay of nave. Fittings: Font: Romanesque, panels divided by raised incised strips, remounted in C19. Pulpit wood, also C19. Tower screen 1903, panelled and glazed. C19 stone altar. Monuments: In chancel, wall tomb inserted into south-east window embrasure. Purbeck slab on panelled chest, with shields on strapwork. Triptych top with shields and brasses to Thomas Jay, died 1623, and wife Anne, died 1612. Also brass to Catherine Vowell, died 1844. In North Aisle; 8 wall tablets, all white and grey marbles, reading from east (a) Urn over tablet, to William Beach of Netheravon House, died 1790. (b) Draped urn over tablet, to Henrietta(?) Ann and Jane Beach, and infants, early C19. (c) Framed tablet with arms over, to Michael Beach-Hicks-Beach. (d) 1916, to Sir Michael Hicks-Beach, Earl St. Aldwyn, and son, Viscount Quenington of Fittleton, and wife. (e) Draped urn over framed tablets to Michael Hicks-Beach of Williamstrip Park, died 1930. (f) Oval tablet with flaming urn - defaced. (g) Limestone tablet with round-rebated corners, to John Ivy, died 1733, and (h) slate tablet with round rebated corners, to Bridget Hedderly, died 1776. In south aisle, 3 wall tablets in marbles, reading from east (j) unrolling scroll, to John Hitchcock, died 1815, (k) pretty tablet urn over cushioned tablet and flanking inlaid pilasters, to Mary Hitchcock, died 1811, and (1) Aedicule with broken pediment holding arms, Corinthian pilasters and putti on apron, to Henry Clerk, died 1712, and recording charities. Furniture: Organ. Houseling benches of early C18. C19 Altar table in a Jacobean style. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire.)

Listing NGR: SU1462449538

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311005
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10330/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].