CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1365565
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365565.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:19:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Berwick Bassett
National Grid Reference:
SU 09855 73546

Details

SU 07 SE BERWICK BASSETT - 5/1 Church of St. Nicholas 27.2.58 II* Redundant parish church. C15, C18 and restored 1857 by T.H. Wyatt. Nave of sarsen with limestone dressings, stone and concrete tiled roof. Chancel brick on sarsen footings, stone tiled roof. Nave, with south bell-tower porch, and chancel. Windows 2-light with slightly cusped square heads and 3-light west window. Chancel windows lancets with stone dressings, perhaps reset, and quatrefoil in east gable. Tower porch C19 with angle buttresses and 2-light bell openings, parapet and pyramidal tiled roof. Two centred arched south door with heavy hoodmould. Interior: Nave has open roof of 3½ bays, with subsidiary trusses dividing each bay. Walls C19 rendering, whitewashed. Trefoiled piscina. Wide chancel arch to chancel with trussed rafter roof. C19 tile pavings. Fittings: C13 octagonal font with trefoiled panels. C19 pulpit, oak on stone base. Good chancel screen, C15, with narrow traceried panels and carved frieze and crestings, no door. C19 altar rail and mid C19 pews. Monuments: In nave, 4 wall tablets. On north side a limestone tablet of 1776 to Henry Webb, long inscription. White marble tablet on grey, to Elizabeth Nalder, died 1835. John Nalder, died 1794 and tablet of 1919. (Pevsner, Buildings of England - Wiltshire)

Listing NGR: SU0985573546

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311253
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04354/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].