CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1365699
Date first listed:
03-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365699.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:30:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 14358 23115

Details

BRIGHOUSE CHURCH LANE, BRIGHOUSE SE 12 SW 3/51 Church of St. Martin 3.1.67 G.V. II

Commissioners' Church. 1831 by L. Hammerton. Hammer-dressed stone, ashlar dressings, slate roof. Nave, west tower and added chancel c.1906 by Hodgson Fowler. No aisles. Nave has 6 bays of lancet windows with 'Y'-tracery, angle buttresses between each bay with pointed heads and weathering. Embattled parapet. Between nave and chancel is octagonal pinnacle. Chancel has similar buttresses dividing 3 bays of arch headed windows with more decorative tracery. East window of similar character under string course which rises parallel with gable. Plain parapet. Tower of 3 stages with set back buttresses has empty niche to 1st stage over arch headed doorway. 2nd stage added clock c.1846 over arched window. Belfry has 'Y'-tracery. Embattled parapet has crocketed pinnacles. The west front has 3 tall lancets with 'Y'-tracery, one in lst stage of tower.

Interior: Wide bare nave with flat partly coved ceiling. Large west gallery originally on 3 sides now cut back. Chancel, of ashlar inside, has tall chancel arch and arcades. Complete furnishings in Perpendicular style, including painted and carved reredos. Elaborate pulpit 1912. One window of glass in Pre-Raphaelite style c.1820 by Morris, and fine East Window with figures of saints. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London 1967) p.147. G. Hepworth, Brighouse its Scenery and Antiquities (Halifax 1885) p.8.

Listing NGR: SE1435823115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
338800
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hepworth, G, Brighouse its Scenery and Antiquities, (1885), 8
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 147

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].