TITHE BARN ADJOINING TYTHE BARN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1365854
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
05-May-1988
Statutory Address:
TITHE BARN ADJOINING TYTHE BARN HOUSE, WATER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TITHE BARN ADJOINING TYTHE BARN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365854.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 15:03:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
TITHE BARN ADJOINING TYTHE BARN HOUSE, WATER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Adderbury
National Grid Reference:
SP 47140 35463

Details

SP4735 ADDERBURY WATER LANE (South side) Adderbury East 7/130 Tithe Barn adjoining Tythe 08/12/55 Barn House (not included) (Formerly listed as Tithe Barn, High Street)

GV II Tithe barn. Completed c.1422 for New College, Oxford; probably reduced and partly rebuilt C17; altered c.1877 for Lord Haldon. Marlstone ashlar with some limestone-ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate and concrete plain-tile roof. 5-bay plan, probably originally longer. Road front has 6 stepped buttresses, the westernmost probably Cl7, and has a central doorway with a pointed chamfered arch and a hood mould. The unaltered left (east) gable wall has 3 buttresses, the angle buttresses set diagonally, and has 3 long slit openings. At the rear only the 2 easternmost buttresses (including the angle buttress), are medieval; the raking westernmost buttress is probably C17, and there are three C19 buttresses with limestone dressings. The walling of the middle bay replaces an earlier wide porch or doorway, the jambs of which are visible internally. The west gable wall, partly obscured by lower farmbuildings (now Tythe Barn House), is probably C17 but contains a wide C19 doorway with a shallow depressed arch in limestone ashlar. Both sides have 2 square C19 windows set below the eaves, and have 2 hipped roof dormers. Interior: slits have wide splays and pointed rere-arches; medieval doorway has a chamfered segmental rere-arch. 5-bay roof has two C17 trusses, each with tiebeam plus 2 collars supporting 3 rows of butt purlins, but the 2 westernmost trusses are largely original with saddles at the apex, 2 collars, (the lower renewed), and mortices for arched braces; the westernmost appears to be the only truss to have remained in situ, and retains its curved feet set into rebates in the wall. The construction of the barn bears a strong resemblance to the other early-C15 New College barns at Upper Heyford and Swalcliffe, and John Jylkes, carpenter, is known to have worked at all three places. The barn was associated with the rectorial manor house, now The Grange (q.v.), which was rebuilt in 1684. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p416; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pll; R.B. Wood-Jones, Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region, 1963, pp20-22)

Listing NGR: SP4711935460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
243854
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 416
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 11
Wood-Jones, R B, Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region, (1963), 20-22

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04024/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nick Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].