JUBILEE CLOCK TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1365876
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Dec-1997
Statutory Address:
JUBILEE CLOCK TOWER, ESPLANADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of JUBILEE CLOCK TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 10:18:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
JUBILEE CLOCK TOWER, ESPLANADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SY 68074 79509

Details

WEYMOUTH

SO6879NW ESPLANADE 873-1/18/167 (East side) 14/06/74 Jubilee Clock Tower (Formerly Listed as: ESPLANADE Jubilee Memorial Clock Tower)

GV II

Memorial clock tower. 1887. For the Jubilee of Queen Victoria, the gift of Sir Henry Edwards. Cast- and wrought-iron on stone base. The large 4-faced clock under a square ogee cupola on a broad moulded base is set on a square shaft with deep frieze with anthemion enrichment and flared cornice. Each face of the shaft carries 2 panels, with the Queen's head and the Weymouth arms respectively. The shaft is flared out to 4 plinth panels under segmental pediments; on 3 faces inscribed "Erected to commemorate the Jubilee of Her Majesty the Queen 1887. John Groves, Mayor", and on the seaward face "Jubilee Memorial Erected by Public Subscription. The clock being the gift of Sir Henry Edwards". The 4 faces are linked in an octagon on octagonal plus a circular moulded base, set to a shallow multangular stone base. A florid but characteristic enrichment to the sea-front, boldy coloured.







Listing NGR: SY6807479509

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
467613
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09417/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Holt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].