This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 38, WEST END

List entry Number: 1366042



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: March

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 401795

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 4196 MARCH WEST END (North Side)

23/49 No. 38 13. 3.51


House. Dated 1626, extended early C19. Local red brick, English bond with low pitch early C19 roof of slate. The kneelers of the 1626 gable end parapet with cut and moulded brickwork are visible at the front right hand. End stacks, the one to the left hand projects and also has cut and moulded brickwork. Two storeys. Front wall has typical thickening of the ground floor wall. Three casements, C20 at first floor. Stone with date 1626 in front wall. Central doorway with C19 raised and fielded panelled door with two small glazed upper panels. Inside: One ground floor room has ovolo moulded joists and particularly fine carving to the soffits of two main beams. The main beam nearest the river is carved with stylised foliage and three male and female mask heads. The other has grotesque heads and fantastic animals. Another room has C18 raised and fielded panelling to the dado and late C18, shouldered fireplace surround with frieze of festoons and in the centre a pastoral scene of a shepherd, dog and sheep. In the original rear wall of the 1626 house there are two four-light ovolo mullion windows with iron saddle bars. One window has had two mullions removed. The staircase dates from the extension in early C19, open-string with turned newel, square section balusters and scroll tread ends.

Listing NGR: TL4136396820

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 41363 96820


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366042 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 10:54:14.

End of official listing