CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366256.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:37:58.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 34156 21115
WELWICK MAIN STREET
TA 32 SW
7/91 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Late C13 tower arch, east section of nave, west section of chancel; C14 clerestory, arcades, aisles, extension to chancel and door to porch; C15 rood screen, rebuilding of tower. Porch rebuilt in C18. Restorations of early C20 and c1980. Random cobbles and squared limestone to upper section of tower; random cobbles to early section of nave east wall and west section of clerestory, random cobbles and coursed hammer-dressed limestone to chancel; limestone ashlar to aisles, lower section of tower, buttresses and parapets to chancel, north aisle, clerestory and tower; red brick in Flemish bond to porch and south aisle parapet. Limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Pantile roof to porch, lead roofs to remainder. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: moulded plinth, quoins, diagonal buttresses with offsets to first stage. Square-headed 2-light west window with hoodmould and pointed relieving arch; pointed Y-traceried belfry openings, moulded string course, coped parapet. Aisles have moulded plinths, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets, moulded string course and coped parapets. North aisle: pointed moulded door with hoodmould and head stops, pointed Y-traceried window with restored mullions and brick head, pointed 2-light window with reticulated tracery and pointed 2-light window with geometric tracery, both with hoodmoulds and head stops; square-headed 3-light cinquefoiled east and west windows with incised spandrels. South aisle: square-headed 2-light trefoiled window, inserted square-headed schoolroom door of c1800 beside porch, 2 segmental-pointed 2-light windows with curvilinear tracery, pointed 3-light east window with curvilinear tracery, hoodmould and head stops, square-headed 3-light trefoiled west window. Inserted tomb to south-east bay has central attached shaft with moulded capital, rising to niche with blind curvilinear tracery and diaper-work (including rosettes and symbols of the evangelists) to rear, and mutilated canopy with crocketed arches and ornate ribbed vaulting, beneath brattished raked string course flanked by truncated buttress shafts. Nave clerestory: 3 pointed 2-light cinquefoiled windows, with blocked truncated window to north-west; line of former nave gable visible at east end. Chancel: buttresses to angles and between bays; south side has pointed 2-light trefoiled window, blocked chamfered ogee- headed door beneath pointed 3-light window with curvilinear tracery, hoodmould and head stops, similar south-east window extended to 4 lights beneath skewed arch; north side has pair of similar pointed 3-light windows and a C13 lancet; fine pointed 5-light east window with curvilinear tracery, moulded reveal, hoodmould and head stops. Porch: fine re-set pointed moulded arch with hoodmould and head stops supporting elaborate niche flanked by pinnacled buttress shafts, with foliate corbelled base supporting mutilated figures of seated virgin and child flanked by angels, beneath vaulted canopy with crocketed gables. Pointed inner arch of 2 orders with fillet mouldings, hoodmould and single head stop, board door. Interior. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch with shafted inner order, plain moulded capitals and bases; blocked opening above. 4-bay arcades of pointed double- chamfered arches on octagonal piers and west responds with plain moulded capitals and bases, the south arcade with moulded brackets to the capitals and bases, and arches dying into single chamfers; mutilated head corbels to east responds; north-west bay blocked. Tall pointed double-chamfered chancel arch dying into walls, with sockets for former rood loft. South aisle has blocked entrance to former parvis above south door, moulded corbels, including one carved head, to east wall, and pointed moulded trefoiled piscina with hoodmould and projecting moulded bowl, contemporary with adjoining wall monument (see below). Plain pointed piscina to nave with head corbel above. Plain pointed chamfered piscina and pointed chamfered recess cut by south-east window in chancel. Restored 4-bay nave roof with moulded tie-beams, king- and queen-posts. Monuments. Exceptional tomb of c1340 in south aisle, originally free-standing and re-set as wall tomb: grave slab with moulded front bearing carved symbols of the four evangelists; priest effigy in mass vestments on a bed of curvilinear tracery, beneath a crocketed ogee arch, with angels at head and feet, and others supporting corbelled shafts of lierne-vaulted canopy fronted by a low segmental arch enriched with curvilinear tracery and foliate carving, flanked by buttress shafts carrying mutilated statuettes of female saints in pinnacled niches; richly-carved display above subdivided by pinnacled buttresses into 5 panels, with curvilinear tracery, flying angels, foliate decoration and nodding crocketed ogee arches, the top left section missing. Series of shields reset on wall above, bearing arms and symbols of the Passion. South aisle also contains a mensa slab and broken C13 carved stone coffin, the latter exhumed from nave in 1832. Floorslab in nave central aisle with Gothic Latin insciption to William and Margaret Sotteler of 1498; small C15-C16 floorslab with Gothic inscription to east end. Brass in north aisle to William and Ann Wright of 1621, with effigies, inscribed plate and coat of arms; matrix with indents for border and plates beneath gabled canopies. Ashlar wall tablet in south aisle to Thomas and Susanna Fox of c1774. Fittings. Restored oak chancel screen, of 5 bays: blind-traceried lower panels with sub-cusped pointed arches and intersecting tracery above, pointed 2-light upper panels with ornate Perpendicular and curvilinear tracery and sub-cusped crocketed ogee heads, wider pointed central opening with Perpendicular-traceried head; restored fan-vaulting supporting gallery with ornate frieze. Octagonal panelled pulpit inscribed "1618". C15 GT octagonal font with plain-moulded bowl and base, and tall pointed 8-sided wooden font cover with moulded base and ball finial. Traces of wall painting to nave, including inscription to north, and robed figure to south. Money was bequeathed for the chancel east window in 1358. The chancel screen is similar to that at the Church of St Germain, Winestead, Patrington (qv), and the south arcade to that at All Saints Church, Halsham (qv). The south porch door and the tomb in the south aisle, probably from a chantry chapel and re-set after the suppression of chantries in the C16, are attributed to the same workshop as the Percy Shrine in Beverley Minster. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, pp 364- 365; C Wardle and I R Dowse, The Parish Church of St Mary, Welwick (Church Guide) 1981,8pp; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 147; N Dawton "The Percy Tomb at Beverley Minster: The Style of the Sculpture", Studies in Medieval Sculpture, ed F H Thompson, 1983, pp 124- 125; N Dawton, "Report on the Monument in the south aisle of St Mary's Welwick", 1985, (duplicated typescript); drawing and photographs in NMR.
Listing NGR: TA3415221113
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Studies in Medieval Sculpture, (1983), 124-5
Allison, K J, The Victoria History of the County of York: East Riding, (1984), 147
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 364-5
Wardle, C , Dowse, IR , The Parish Church of St Mary Welwick, (1981), 8
Dawton, N, Report on the Monument in the south aisle of St Marys Welwick, (1985)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing