CHURCH OF SAINT SWITHIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1366258
Date first listed:
06-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT SWITHIN, BACK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT SWITHIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366258.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:44:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT SWITHIN, BACK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sproatley
National Grid Reference:
TA 19480 34393

Details

SPROATLEY BACK LANE TA 13 SE (south side) 6/76 Church of Saint Swithin GV II Church. 1814-20, rebuilt 1886 by Smith and Brodrick. Grey brick with stone dressings, graduated slate roof. Gothic Revival style. 3 stage west tower, 3-bay aisled nave with north porch, 2-bay chancel with north vestry. West tower: plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, chamfered strings to each stage. First and second stages have trefoil-headed lancets, clock to second stage. Belfry: 2-light square headed window with cusped tracery under hood- mould. Crenellated parapet with crocketed corner finials. Nave: chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets. Two 3-light square-headed windows with Perpendicular tracery. South porch: segmental-headed door under hood-mould and blank tracery in apex of coped gable. Chancel: 2-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery under hood-mould with foliate stops. Pointed 4-light east window with Perpendicular tracery under hood-mould with monarch stops. Raised coped gable with cross finial on shaped kneelers.

Listing NGR: TA1948034393

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
166536
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11648/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].