This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1366329



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Abbas and Templecombe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261736

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



9/1 Church of St. Mary



Parish Church. C12 and later, mostly rebuilt in C19. Local stone cut and squared with Ham stone ashlar dressings; plain clay tile roofs between stepped coped gables with finials. 6-cell plan, with 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave, South transept, South tower incorporating porch, 4-bay North aisle and North East corner vestry. Chancel rebuilt c1874, has plinth, angled corner buttresses; 5-light late C14 style traceried pointed arched East window with head stop label, with smaller 2-light C15 style traceried window with similar label in South wall. South transept probably also rebuilt in 1874; angled corner buttress, with 3-light flat headed traceried window in East wall, and late C14 style geometric-curvilinear traceried 3-light window in South wall, both with head stop labels, with short buttress under South window. Nave has one 3-light flat headed traceried window in South wall, with buttresses alongside; in South wall a moulded 4-centre arched doorway with square label and square stops, plain spandrils and above a late C14 pattern 3-light traceried window. North aisle, added in 1834, has a 3-light traceried window under elliptical arch in recess, with label and headstop, in West wall; North wall has four 3-light flat headed C19 traceried windows in recesses, with square stop labels. Vestry added in 1893; chevet plan with hipped roof at East end, totally C19 in detail. Tower of 2 stages, C12 in character, with diagonal offset corner buttresses to stage 1, rough plinth, string courses with corner gargoyles to upper string, and battlemented parapets, central timber lead roofed turret; lower stage has, on South side, plain pointed arch to simple doors set in deep recess, and above a small cusped lancet without label; above in stage 2 a clockface and a 2-light pointed arched window, probably C19; in East side a 2-light flat headed window, and on West and North sides are 2-light C15 style windows without labels - all of these fitted with wood baffles. Inside, the porch has a tall inner arch of late C12/early C13. Chancel has late C19 elliptical board and rib barrel vault; an elliptical arch to the organ chamber and a C12 style chancel arch, both probably rebuilt; communion rail has barley-sugar twist balusters, probably tiff; retaining furniture C19, except the oak reredos, which is 1926. Nave has old waggon roof of curved ribs with boards over, probably C16, as probably is the elliptical arch into the South transept, which has a trefoil arched piscina; in the South west corner of nave sore oak pews, possibly Lib, and nearby a C12 font - lead lined square bowl with arcaded sides on circular shaft with 4 snail corner shafts, on a square base; font cover of 1897; also in this corner a painting of Christ's head, on boards, which could be C13 and thought to be connected with the Knights Templar, who held the manor; it was found hidden in the roof of a village outhouse in 1951. lfl,I. Clarke - Irons, A Short Record of Abbas and Templecombe, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST7085922669

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Clarke Irons, D M , A Short Record of Abbas and Templecombe, (1974)

National Grid Reference: ST 70859 22669


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366329 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 07:35:37.

End of official listing