Church of St Peter and St Paul
Anglican Parish Church. Tower late C15, remainder rebuilt in 1869 by Henry Hall. Local stone cut and squared, with Doulting or Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiled roofs, banded with scallop tiles, between stepped coped gables. Four-cell plan of 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave and small north and south transepts, with small north-east vestry, south porch and west tower. Chancel has plinth, cill mould, small offset corner buttresses; east window of 3-lights, geometric tracery, with headstop arched label; on south side 3 cusped lancets with headstop labels; on north side, the lean-to vestry and vestry porch to match. North transept has half-height buttresses, oval flue to crown of gable, 2-light traceried window with headstop label; south transept to match, but without flue. Nave has cusped lancets with quatrefoils over, set under arched labels with headstops, no buttresses; south porch to match, with floriated capitals on corbels; plain moulded inner doorway. Tower of 2 stages: plinth, string courses, upper with corner gargoyles, battlenented parapets with simple obelisk corner pinnacles; angled corner buttresses: lower stage plain except on west face, where there is a blocked west doorway, having chamfered pointed arch with label over, and 2-light windows all round, with almost semi-circular arched labels, all fitted with baffles; additional rectangular window with hood mould on south side: square stair turret with offsets, to near full-height, on north-east corner.
Interior has totally C19 character; chancel has an open raised-cruck type roof frame, wide C12 style chancel arch with richly carved capitals and corbels to hall-shafts; elaborate carved rere-arch to east window and imposts to other windows; encaustic tile and carved stone reredos, and choir stalls in character. Nave has arched-braced collar-truss roof, plainer in detail: south transept has some C18 fielded panelling - this, with the matching pulpit, was removed from Sherborne Abbey to this church c1921. Font, an octagonal bowl on circular shaft and base, somewhat damaged, possibly C12: on north wall a hatchment of 1738. Stained glass of east and west windows by Powell. Several C18 memorial tablets in tower; some carved fragments built into wall of south porch, thought to be Saxon.
First known rector in C13.
Listing NGR: ST6721126143