WEST LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1366401
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1987
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
WEST LODGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366401 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:42:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST LODGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Cricket St. Thomas
National Grid Reference:
ST3657807422

Details

CRICKET ST THOMAS - Lodge ST3ONE 4/17 West Port Lodge - - II

The entry shall be amended to read:-

ST3ONE CRICKET ST THOMAS -

4/17 West Lodge -

- II & The following sentence should be inserted above line 1 of the description:-

'Incorrectly marked on O.S. Map as West Port Lodge'

------------------------------------

CRICKET ST THOMAS CP ST30NE West Port Lodge 4/17 -

- II

Lodge. 1834; but apparently modified in later C19, Local stone rubble, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiled roof with bands of beaver-tail tiles, ornamental ridge: stone chimney stacks. Single-storey with attic; 3-bay east elevation, of which bay 2 is a gabled projection, Bay 1 has a lean-to porch with a three 4-centre-arched-liqht window; bay 1 has an angled bay of 1+3+1 lights under a hipped tiled roof, with single-light attic window above; bay 3 has a single-light window: crossing, bay 2, has ornamental bargeboards and spike finial with pendant. Matching south elevation, without a bay window but with an added dormer window to bay 1, and a lean-to against the projecting gable. Interior not inspected. A lodge erected here in 1834 when the area was emparked by the owner of Cricket House, although this appears to have been modified or rebuilt in the later C19. (VCH Somerset Vol IV, 1978, p134)

Listing NGR: ST3657807422

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262138
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 134

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13660/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].