This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1366405



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dowlish Wake

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262156

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.





Anglican parish church. Fragment of chancel C13, tower early C14, some C15 work. Mostly rebuilt 1861-62, B.Ferrey Architect. H.Davis of Taunton builder. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings: Welsh slate roof between stepped cooed gables. Five-cell plan of single-bay chancel, crossing with tower; 2-bay north-east (Smoke) chapel, 3-bay nave and north aisle, with south porch and north east vestry, Chancel, mostly C19, has chamfered plinth; eaves course and angled corner buttresses: east window 3-light with Seometric style tracery, and south window 2-light to.match, both with labels and leaf-with-bird stop ends; in south-west corner a moulded pointed-arched doorway. The Speke Chapel has some early C15 work, but the east wall partly rebuilt; plinth, eaves course;, angled corner and bay buttresses; windows 3-light to east and 2-light to the two north bays, all with C15 style tracery set in hollowed recesses: C19 matching vestry projects from west bay, its north gable having a C14 style traceried 2-light window with label, and a flat-arched doorway in the east wall. North side aisle a late C19 rebuild of C15 work, with plinth, string course and plain parapet, angled corner and bay buttresses; 3-light segmental-arched windows in shallow recesses with almost art-nouveau tracery; the west window a 3-light with C15 style tracery and headstone label. Nave has angled corner and bav buttresses; plinth and eaves course; 3-light C19 windows with C14 style tracery and headstop arched labels in south wall; the west window also CI9; 4-light with Curvilinear tracery with bird-and-leaf stop label, under which is a blocked moulded pointed-arched doorway. South porch C14, but largely rebuilt; plinth; angled corner buttresses, with moulded pointed pointed outer arch, label and over-label scroll lettered 'surely the Lord is in this place', and in gable a small figure of St Andrew in an arched recess, inner door more elaborately moulded, with another St Andrew figure in recess over. Tower in 3 stages, with plinth and north-south corner buttresses, string courses, tripled above stage one, and battleaented parapet, with hexagonal plan stair turret to north-east corner slightly higher than remainder of tower: the south face of stage 1 has a 3-light C15 style window with label; stage 2 has a cusped lancet on north side and a 2-light plate tracery window to west, both of these repeated in stage 3; south lace has a clock dial stage 2, and stage 3 south and stages 2 and 3 east faces have 2-light C14/C15 style windows without labels. interior essentially C19, with open timber roofs and plastered walls; chancel has a C19 painted reredos: the crossing has tall C13 or early C14 double-chamfer arches with moulded caps, otherwise the main fabric apparently Cl9. In the Speke chapel is a C11 or C12 font, tub pattern with arcaded sides, from the church of West Dowlish, demolished by l575; between this chapel and the chancel a somewhat restored table tomb with effigies of Joane (nee Keynes) and John Speke, died 1442; in north wall of chapel a marble and stone monument with life-size bust of John Hanninq Speke, the discoverer of the source of the River Nile, died l864; and in a trefoil cusped recess west of this an effigy of Isabel Wake, died 1359: also a brass to George Speke, died 1528, "builder of this part of the church'. Remaining fittings C19, but in the south wall of nave a fine C15 canopied statue niche, presumably removed and reset, with a C20 St Andrew statue. A photograph taken before the restoration, in the north chapel, shows that little was left unaltered, except parts of the tower. First recorded rector 1313. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, l978, ppl54-156; Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Listing NGR: ST3756612944

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 154-156
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 37566 12944


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366405 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 12:50:40.

End of official listing