CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1366483
Date first listed:
16-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, LEE BROCKHURST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366483.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:00:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, LEE BROCKHURST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst
National Grid Reference:
SJ 54613 27173

Details

LEE BROCKHURST C.P. LEE BROCKHURST SJ 52 NW 11/9 Church of St. Peter - GV II* Parish church. Mid-C12, restored and extended 1884. Roughly coursed sandstone rubble, more evenly dressed and coursed to C19 additions; machine tile roofs with coped verges on kneelers. Nave with west bellcote, chancel, south porch, north vestry and brick store shed. Nave: one diminutive round-headed C12 window on north and south sides with early C15 square-headed west window of 3 cusped lights; square-headed window to east of C12 window on south probably late C16 or C17 with mullion removed. C12 south doorway has one order of shafts with scalloped capitals and chevron ornament to both extrados and intrados of arch; impost to-right side of arch with cable moulding. Massive nail-studded plank door with fleur-de-lys pointed strap hinges is probably late medieval or C17. Gabled west bellcote with twin round-headed bell openings and timber porch on low sandstone walls both 1884. Short one-bay chancel of 1884 has single trefoil-headed windows with hoodmoulds on north and south and one of 3 lights to east. Gabled vestry at junction with nave and chancel also 1884 and lean-to brick shed adjoining to west is roughly contemporary. Interior: very plain with late C19 trussed rafter roofs to nave and chancel. Deep single-splays of C12 windows visible. Some C18 panelling (probably from former box-pews) reused as wainscoting in nave but remainder of fittings and furnishings are late C19 or later. Monument: wall memorial to John Henshaw of Wem, attorney (died 1801) - nave, north side. B.O.E., p.165; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 8 (1906), p.700.

Listing NGR: SJ5461327173

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260464
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 700
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08306/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Dorothy Nicolle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].