CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366502.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:21:03.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 59244 38672
SJ 53 NE; 5/12
IGHTFIELD C.P., CHURCH STREET, Ightfield
Church of Saint John the Baptist
Parish Church. Late C15, restored and chancel and east wall of nave rebuilt in 1865. Dressed red and grey sandstone with ashlar dressings; chancel and south porch in grey sandstone ashlar. Plain tile roofs. 3-bay nave and north aisle, 2-bay chancel, south porch and west tower. Chancel in a Perpendicular style.
Tower: three stages externally. Moulded plinth, chamfered string courses, diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets, parapet string with carved square Tudor-flower ornament, carved gargoyles at corners (that at the north-east corner squared to the east) and carved quatrefoil frieze below, and battlemented parapet with moulded coping and crocketed corner pinnacles with trefoil-panelled dies. Projecting half-octagonal stair turret to north-east with chamfered-arched boarded door to west at base, small rectangular windows, first string course with carved head, and pyramidal stone cap with finial. Belfry openings of three trefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds (except to south and east) with carved stops (north belfry opening offset to west). Quatrefoil sounding hole in middle stage to north set in chamfered square recess with hoodmould. West window of three cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, moulded reveals, and returned hoodmould. West doorway with moulded arch, hoodmould with carved stops and C19 boarded door with strap hinges. Clock in second stage to south. Nave: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with chamfered offsets, chamfered parapet string, battlemented parapet with moulded coping, crocketed pinnacles with trefoil-headed dies, and parapeted gable end with chamfered coping and cross at apex. Central south window of three cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, double hollow-chamfered reveals and hoodmould with carved stops; right-hand window of three cinque- foil-headed lights, unusual panelled tracery including three octafoils, the centre elongated, moulded reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops, that to left depicting a lion and that to right probably a boar. South doorway to left with deeply-moulded four-centred arch, carved spandrels, returned square hoodmould and C19 boarded door with decorative strap hinges. C15 porch with moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets, moulded parapet string, and battlemented parapet with panelled crocketed finials. Deeply-moulded entrance arch has hoodmould with carved stops, trefoil-panelled spandrels and quatrefoil frieze above under a square hoodmould. Interior of porch with side benches. Three narrow vents in apex of nave east gable end. North aisle: chamfered plinth, buttresses with chamfered offsets and parapeted gable ends with stone copings and crosses at apices. North windows of three cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmoulds with carved heads as stops. Moulded ogee-arched doorway in right-hand bay with C19 boarded door. East window of three cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmould with carved heads as stops (straight joint to left). C19 west window of two cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped Y-tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmoulds with carved heads as stops. Chancel: chamfered plinth, buttresses (diagonal to east with moulded plinths) with chamfered offsets, chamfered parapet string, and battlemented parapet with trefoil-panelled crocketed pinnacles, and parapeted gable end with stone coping and cross at apex. East window of three cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould with carved heads as stops. Right-hand south window of two cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped Y-tracery, moulded reveals and returned hoodmould. Moulded ogee-arched priest's doorway to left with boarded door. North windows of two cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped Y-tracery, moulded reveals and returned hoodmould.
INTERIOR: 3-bay aisle arcade consisting of octagonal piers with moulded capitals and chamfered bases,and double- chamfered arches. Tall C15 double chamfered tower arch, the inner chamfer with moulded imposts and bases and continuous outer chamfer with broach stops. C19 chancel arch of two orders, the outer with a continuous hollow chamfer and the inner moulded, springing from moulded stone corbels. Chamfered rear arches throughout; the south-east nave window with moulded reveals, hollow-chamfered and moulded reveals to aisle window, and south- east nave window with moulded reveals. North aisle doorway with four- centred rear arch and ogee-arched chancel south doorway with moulded reveals. East window with returned hoodmould, sedile beneath south chancel window and moulded cinquefoil-headed arched aumbry to north. Small blocked rectangular openings above chancel and tower arches. C19 four-bay nave roof with chamfered stone wall plate, moulded ogee- arched braces springing from carved stone corbels, low brattished collar, arched braces above with pierced spandrels, and pairs of purlins with cusped wind braces C19 three-bay chancel roof with chamfered stone wall plate and brattished wooden plate, trusses with cusped arched braces springing from moulded stone corbels, ridge piece with longitudinal cusped braces, and purlins with cusped wind braces. FITTINGS: mainly c.1865 and later. Painted wooden reredos of three bays with central arched panel, flanking cinquefoil-headed panels, and brattished top. Flanking panelling, with cinquefoil heads to top tier. Carved wooden altar table. Altar rails with wrought-iron supports supporting wooden rail. Choir stalls. Polygonal stone pulpit with stem, moulded base, traceried panels, and brattished and moulded top; four steps up. Pews with traceried ends. Octagonal stone font with chamfered step, stem with moulded base, bowl with alternating carved grid and quatrefoil panels, and wooden cover. Wrought-iron light fittings. Oak parish chest of c.1500. C19 encaustic tiles to chancel. Some C19 stained glass. MONUMENTS: brass (late C15) to Dame Margery Calverley, widow of Philip Egerton, depicting a figure and a triple canopy with a figure of St. John the Baptist above; brass to William Maynwaryng (head replaced in 1895). Drawing dated 1961 of former C14 north aisle roof with moulded ribs and carved bosses,now replaced. The Domesday Book records the presence of a priest at Ightfield. The 1865 restoration cost £3,000. B.o.E., p. 155, D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, pp. 697-99; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1909), pp. 108-9. 1
Listing NGR: SJ5924438672
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 697-99
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 155
'Kellys Directory' in Herefordshire and Shropshire, (1909), 108-9
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing