This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Cantlop Bridge

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Cantlop Bridge

List entry Number: 1366715

Location

538m north-west of Cantlop Mill, Barrington, Shrewsbury, SY5 6HQ

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Berrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-May-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Aug-2017

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259711

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Bridge over the Cound Brook, erected 1813, to a design approved by Thomas Telford.

Reasons for Designation

Cantlop Bridge, erected in 1813 to a Telford-approved design is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * Design: it is an important and early example of a single-span, cast-iron bridge which displays particularly well-executed detailing; * Survival: it survives in its original form and retains its original ironwork and masonry.

Historic interest: * Rarity: it is considered to be the only Telford-approved cast-iron bridge remaining in situ in Shropshire; * Technological interest: it will add to our understanding of the casting and assembly methods employed during this pioneering age and as a surviving testament to the evolution of bridge construction during this period.

History

This section of the Shrewsbury-Acton Burnell road was turnpiked in 1797, at which time the crossing over the Cound Brook to the north of the hamlet of Cantlop was a narrow bridge. There are references to an agreement to make repairs to a bridge over the Cound in 1713. Sources indicate that money was raised by public subscription in 1812 for the construction of a new carriage bridge. It is not clear whether Thomas Telford, County Surveyor between 1787 and 1834, personally designed the new bridge as he did not list it in his autobiography, but it appears to have been built to a design approved by him. The castings for the bridge were supplied probably by William Hazeldine.

Cantlop Bridge was closed to vehicles in the 1970s when a new road bridge was erected immediately to the west and was taken into the guardianship of the Secretary of State for the Environment (now Culture, Media and Sport) in 1977 and is in the care of English Heritage.

Details

Bridge over the Cound Brook, erected 1813, to a design approved by Thomas Telford.

MATERIALS: cast-iron superstructure and railings; abutments of coursed red and grey sandstone with ashlar dressings.

DESCRIPTION: the surface of the roadway is formed of cast-iron deck plates, tarmacked and now gravelled over. The deck is carried on five cast-iron transverse members that are supported by four parallel, arched cast-iron ribs braced laterally to each other, and forming a single segmental span of 9.5m. The ribs spring from the stone abutments via a pair of transverse cast-iron plates set in rebates. The battered abutments have moulded string courses and chamfered ashlar quoins, and are topped with cornices. They curve outwards into the river bank to either side, giving the bridge a fan-shaped plan at either end. To the north-west and south-west sides are later stone revetment walls. The delicate cast-iron railings are painted and have a dog rail, dog bars and shaped balusters to the ends. A plaque on the bridge engraved: THOMAS TELFORD ESQR/ ENGINEER/ 1818, is not extant.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner N, , Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (2006), 144
Hill, MC, 'Iron and Steel Bridges in Shropshire' in Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 56, (1956-1960), 114-115
Websites
Cantlop Bridge, HER 01062, accessed 21 June 2017 from http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/getrecord/CCS_MSA775/
Discovering Shropshire’s History, accessed 21 June 2017 from http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/search/?q=cantlop+Bridge&cb_submit=Search

National Grid Reference: SJ5173706243

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366715 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 12:27:46.

End of official listing