CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1366860
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366860.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:08:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Buildwas
National Grid Reference:
SJ 63691 04758

Details

BUILDWAS C.P. BUILDWAS SJ 60 SW 5/10 Church of Holy Trinity 13.6.58 GV II Parish church. Medieval orgins, re-built 1720, restored 1864. Regularly coursed gritstone with chamfered plinth, ashlar dressings; machine tile roofs with coped verges. Nave, chancel, west belfry, south porch and north vestry. Nave: in 2 bays; round-headed windows with raised keystones and imposts and later Y-tracery, one in centre on north, one to west wall and one on south to east of gabled stone porch, which has a moulded pointed arch with rose boss to apex and a cast-iron plate above recording the re-building of the church in 1720; late C19 timber framed belfry with steep pyramidal roof and brass weathercock. Chancel: 2 bays with angle buttresses; 2-light Gothic-style windows (c.1864) flank pointed chamfered doorway on south; east window of 3 lights in similar style and gabled vestry on north at junction with nave. Interior: pointed south doorway has a C18 door of 7 vertical planks; contemporary west gallery with turned balusters supported on 2 wooden posts; 2-bay king-post roof to nave and 2-bay hammer-beam roof to chancel, both c.1864; pointed chancel arch also of this date and late C19 stained glass in east window; pews c.1864; richly carved C17 Puipit and small mid-C19 octagonal font with carved quatrefoils and slender stem. Monuments: wall memorials to Humphrey Wheeler (died 1739), nave north side, and John Clarke (died 1717), nave south side, with a brass plate to Mary Boycott (died 1656) on south wall of nave; a board (dated 1857), recording benefactions to parish, hangs on west wall. In the medieval period the church was a possession of nearby Buildwas Abbey (q.v.). B.o.E. Pp.87-8; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905) P.564.

Listing NGR: SJ6369104758

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
258792
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 564
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 87-8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/08677/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Wilkinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].