CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1366863
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366863.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:52:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Church Preen
National Grid Reference:
SO5432798145

Details

SO 59 NW; 7/24

CHURCH PREEN C.P., CHURCH PREEN

Church of St John the Baptist

13.6.58

GV

II*

Parish church, formerly part monastic. Circa 1220-50, restored 1866 with south chapel of c.1920-25. Uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, machine tile roof. Nave and chancel in one with west bellcote; north porch and vestry, south chancel chapel.

Nave: north wall has two lancets, one of 1866 to west and an original lancet with transom and low-side window below to east; gabled stone porch to west probably C17 but restored when adjoining vestry was added to west in 1866; south wall has two lancets and a pointed doorway to east, all of 1866; west wall also largely re-built at this date, external gabled bellcote with buttresses beneath,forming narrow pointed arch to ground, frames window of two paired lancets. Chancel: in two bays, original lancets to north and one on south which also has embattled south chapel (now partly roofless) concealing blocked C13 doorway; original east window of three lancets, unusually all of same height, and internally under a segmental scoinson arch.

INTERIOR: retains original long narrow plan but considerably restored 1866, especially at west end; pointed north door- way renewed at this time and most of the fittings and furnishings are contemporary including continuous trussed rafter roof to nave and chancel; latter has C13 trefoil-headed piscina in south wall and recessed sedile below lancet immediately to west, 2 corbels for statues flank east window, blocked doorway with shouldered arch was presumably the monks' entrance to the church; reading desk dated 1646 has initials "ID" and the letter "S" backwards, pulpit probably a little later, contemporary re-used panelling fixed to walls; Romanesque-style font on clustered shaft mid-C19 but square-shaped basin in north porch may be C13; another font (now in south chapel) is probably late C13/early C14 - octagonal, the diagonal sides being shorter and ending in small broaches; stained glass in east and west windows c.1870 and c.1900 respectively with pre-Raphaelite style glass to north-east and north- west windows of chancel. The yew tree in the churchyard is said to be one of the oldest in England. Founded as a cell of the Cluniac Abbey at Much Wenlock c.1150, the eastern part of the church was monastic and the western part parochial; the house was dissolved in 1534.

B.o.E., Pp.99-100; V.C.H.VIII (1968), p.128; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), Pp.470-3.

Listing NGR: SO5432798145

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
258806
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 470-3
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1968), 128
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08875/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].